Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Do I need planning permission?

You’ll probably need planning permission if you want to:

  • build something new
  • make a major change to your building, for example a building an extension
  • change the use of your building

To help you find out whether you need planning permission you can use the "Do you need permission?" and "Interactive House" guidance and tools available on the Planning Portal's website.

Once you know you need planning permission we offer a pre-application advice service for planning and for listed building applications, for more information on our service and the fees please go to our Pre-Application web page.

PLEASE NOTE: Development commenced after 6 April 2015 using permitted development rights may be liable to pay a Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) charge.  View further information and guidance on CIL.

Lawful Development Certificate

If you want to be certain that the existing use of a building is lawful for planning purposes or that your proposal does not require planning permission, you can apply for a 'Lawful Development Certificate' (LDC).

It's not compulsory to have an LDC but there may be times when you need one to confirm that the use, operation or activity named in it is lawful for planning control purposes.

You can apply for an LDC via the Planning Portal online application service, or through us if you want to make a paper based application.

Neighbour consultation scheme

From the 6 April 2016 - There were changes to Permitted Development Rights, including amendments to changes of use to dwelling houses. Please go to the regulations for more information.

For a period of six years, between 30 May 2013 and 30 May 2019, householders will be able to build larger single-storey rear extensions under permitted development. View the Prior Notification for Householder Permitted Development form and guidance.

The Government have also produced a useful Guide on householder permitted development (PDF).

Choosing the right type of application

If you're not sure what type of application you need for your project please refer to our application type guide.

Check your planning area

Large areas of South Lakeland District Council's area are covered by national parks, which have their own planning authorities.

If your development is in a national park then you will need to apply to the park's planning teams and not to us at SLDC:

Find out if your development is in a national park by using our interactive map

Make a planning application with SLDC

Please make your application:

Kendal Conservation Area

Dwellings within the Kendal conservation area are subject to tighter controls than elsewhere. These controls are called Article 4 Directions.

An Article 4 Direction covers most of the conservation area. The area covered is shown on our interactive map.

This means most alterations at the front (including replacement window frames, doors, garden walls, railings, guttering etc) require planning permission.

There is no fee for this type of application, provided permission is not required for other reasons.

Flats or maisonettes

To make external changes to a flat planning permission is usually required and a planning fee charged.