Club premises certificate

Last Updated: 6 September 2021

Club premises certificate authorises a members' club to carry out licensable activities such as the supply of alcohol and the provision of regulated entertainment. There is no requirement for a qualifying club to have a designated premises supervisor (DPS) or personal licence holder. A club premises certificate has effect until it is revoked, suspended or surrendered. This is not time limited, unless it's requested by the applicant. 

The following criteria must be met to be considered a qualifying club:

  • that under the rules of the club, persons may not be admitted to membership, or be admitted as candidates for membership, to any of the privileges of membership without an interval of at least two days between their nomination for membership and their admission
  • that the club is established and conducted in good faith as a club
  • that the club has at least 25 members
  • that alcohol is not supplied to members on the premises otherwise than by or on behalf of the club

To qualify as a club authorised to supply alcohol to its members and guests, the additional conditions must be met:

  • the purchase and supply of alcohol by and for the club is managed by a committee made up of elected members of the club all aged over 18 years
  • no arrangements may be made for any person to receive any commission, percentage or similar payment at the expense of the club with reference to purchases of alcohol by the club
  • no arrangements may be made for any person to derive directly or indirectly any monetary benefit from the supply of alcohol to members or guests apart from to benefit the club as a whole or any indirect benefit a person derives by reason of the supply contributing to a general gain for the clubs as a whole

If a club intends to provide licensable activities to the general public they will need to apply for a premises licence. Subject to some restrictions, they would need to submit a temporary event notice

Applying for a club premises certificate

Club premises certificate application form (PDF 377KB / 29 pages)

If you would like to vary your club premises certificate or transfer the certificate you will need to complete the relevant Licensing Act application form.

You will need to show how you will be operating the premises and what you will do to promote the four licensing objectives. You will also need to send a copy of the club rules.

A scaled plan of your premises should be submitted along with your application. To help you complete this, you can view our guidance and advice on the submission of plans.

A fee should be sent with your application, the government sets these fees based on the non domestic rateable value of your premises. You can find this out by looking at your annual bill or by contacting Business Rates.

Your application, fee and any other relevant documents should be returned to the licensing group.

You may want to refer to the home office guidance (PDF 47KB / 8 pages).

When making an application for grant/variation, you should send a copy to the responsible authorities. This now includes sending a copy of the application form to the Home Office (Immigration Enforcement) Alcohol Licensing Team, Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2BY or alternatively email:

Notice of an application

If you are applying for a straight conversion, you do not need to advertise.

If you are applying for a variation, you must display a notice of the application on your premises for a period of 28 consecutive days. You may want to refer to our guidance on arrangements for advertising notices of application.

Here are the notices for you to choose the correct one and fill in and print on blue paper:

Notice of an application for a grant to a premises licence/club premises certificate (PDF 14KB / 1 page)

Notice of an application for a variation to a premises licence/club premises certificate (PDF 25KB / 1 page) 

This notice must be printed on white paper:

Notice of application for minor variation to a premises licence/club premises certificate (PDF 23KB / 1 page)

You are also required to put a notice in the local newspaper, template for completing your newspaper notice (PDF 22KB / 2 pages)

Additional information and guidance notes

A premises licence is not time limited.

These guidance notes will provide you with more information:


Interested parties (eg local residents, residents' associations and parish/town councils) can make representations on applications. 

They must be made within 28 days of the date the notice of application is displayed.

In order to be relevant, the representation must relate to one or more of the four licensing objectives listed below:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

Guidance document for interested parties regarding relevant representations (PDF 46KB / 2 pages)

Where an application is made for grant or variation of a club premises certificate a summary can be found on the public register of Licensing Act applications.