Development Management Policies
We are currently preparing a Development Management Policies Development Plan Document (DPD) for South Lakeland outside the National Parks. This document will provide detailed policies that will be used in the determination of planning applications, and help manage and shape the quality of new development.
At present development proposals are assessed against the following:
- Local Plan Core Strategy (PDF/4.36MB/180 pages)
- Land Allocations
- 'saved' policies of the South Lakeland Local Plan 2006
Some policies in the South Lakeland Local Plan 2006 and some topic areas covered by other existing policies require updating or supplementing to reflect changes in national policy and local circumstances.
Following the recent pre-publication consultation (see below), our next steps are as follows:
- We will use the comments received from the consultation to inform the preparation of a publication version of the plan.
- We will then publish the document, providing a final opportunity for people to make comments.
- The document will then be submitted to the Secretary of State and an independent Inspector will be appointed to conduct a public examination into the soundness of the plan. The Inspector will take into account the comments made at publication stage.
- After the Inspector's report is received, the Council will consider adopting the plan, subject to any recommended changes.
We consulted on the following documents between 19 June and 17 July 2017:
- Draft Development Management Policies Main changes document (PDF/2.07MB/59 pages)
- an updated Optional Housing Standards Evidence Topic Paper (PDF/1.13MB/38 pages)
We invited comments on the following documents between 10 November 2016 and 5 January 2017:
- Draft Development Management Policies DPD (Oct 2016) (PDF/3.18MB/150 pages)
- Interim Sustainability Appraisal Report (PDF/2.76MB/459 pages)
- Draft Habitats Regulations Assessment (PDF/2.77MB/70 pages)
We consulted on the following documents between 6 November and 18 December 2015:
Note: The Secretary of State has approved a Boundary Variation Order. This means that from August 1 2016, the boundaries of the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales National Parks have been extended to include some areas of South Lakeland. The Development Management Policies DPD will not apply to the affected areas. In these areas, relevant Core Strategy Policies, Land Allocations and 'saved' Local Plan policies will apply (supplemented by National Policy on protected landscapes) until the relevant National Park Authority adopts a Local Plan that covers the new areas.
Draft supporting documents
Note: The documents below are draft versions, subject to further minor, non-substantive changes.
- DM DPD Consultation Statement, September 2017 (PDF/4.72MB/367 pages)
- DM DPD Sustainability Appraisal, July 2017 (PDF/4.6MB/569 pages)
- DM DPD SA Non technical Summary, August 2017 (PDF/648KB/28 pages)
- DM DPD Habitats Regulations Assessment, August 2017 (PDF/2.42MB/92 pages)
- Viability Study documents
- Updated Optional Housing Standards Evidence Paper Aug 2017 (PDF/1.22MB/44pages)
- High Speed Broadband in New Developments Evidence Paper Aug 2017 (PDF/1.61MB/23pages)