Development Management Policies
Last Updated: 14 May 2021
The Development Management Policies Development Plan Document (DPD) for South Lakeland outside the National Parks contains a set of planning policies that will be used in the determination of planning applications, and management of the shape and quality of new development in the South Lakeland Local Plan area.
Adoption of the Development Management Policies DPD
South Lakeland District Council adopted the DPD on 28 March 2019. It therefore came into effect from that date and forms part of the South Lakeland District Council Development Plan.
- Development Management Policies DPD (PDF 2.7MB / 119 pages)
- Adoption Statement (PDF 107KB / 1 page)
- Inspector's Report (PDF 457KB / 51 pages)
- Sustainability Appraisal / Strategic Environment Assessment, Adoption Statement (PDF 304KB / 25 pages)
- Sustainability Appraisal Report (PDF 1.3MB / 80 pages)
- Sustainability Appraisal Report, Appendix 1 (PDF 3MB /101 pages)
- Sustainability Appraisal Report, Appendix 2 (PDF 4.36MB / 327 pages)
- Sustainability Appraisal Report, Appendix 3 (PDF 725KB / 64 pages)
- Sustainability Appraisal Addendum (PDF 1.9MB / 119 pages)
Copies of the adopted DPD and the Inspector's Report are available to view at the following locations during normal opening hours:
- South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal, LA9 4DQ
- Coronation Hall, County Square, Ulverston, LA12 7LZ
- Libraries in Kendal, Ulverston, Grange-over-Sands, Milnthorpe, Kirkby Lonsdale and Arnside
Application of adopted Local Plan policies in extended areas of the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales National Parks
Within the extended areas of the National Parks (as extended in August 2016) the saved policies from the adopted 1997 Local Plan (saved Local Plan 2006) will remain in force until replaced by Lake District or Yorkshire Dales National Park Local Plans. This means the Development Management Policies DPD does not form part of the adopted Development Plan for these areas and therefore does not apply in these areas.
Replacement of current adopted Local policies
The adoption of the Development Management Policies DPD has resulted in the replacement of a number of saved policies from the adopted 1997 Local Plan (saved Local Plan 2006) within the South Lakeland Local Plan area as detailed in Appendix 3 of the DM DPD.
It has also resulted in some policies in the Core Strategy being replaced wholly or in part. The Development Management Policies DPD does not replace any policies in the Land Allocations DPD, however, it has resulted in changes to the District-Wide Policies Map (see Appendix 2 of the DPD) replacing previous Local Plan designations for the Kendal Canal Head Area.
The Addendum note to the Core Strategy and Land Allocations DPD explains the relationship of the DM DPD with the Core Strategy and Land Allocations DPD in this respect.