Our area has had floods and the possibility of flooding is something you need to plan for. Find out:
- what to do in a flood emergency
- how we can help you during and after a flood
- how to report flooding
- how to prepare for flooding
If there is danger to people or property call the emergency services on 999.
You can collect sandbags from us. We can also help if you are homeless due to flooding.
Having sandbags in advance of a flood can help reduce the impact of flooding. You can collect up to 10 sandbags per house, free of charge, from the following depots:
- Ulverston: North Lonsdale Road Depot, LA12 9DZ Map. You can collect sandbags at any time from the area open to the public
- Kendal, Canal Head Depot, Kendal, LA9 7BY Map. Collect sandbags between 7am and 3pm Monday to Friday. In severe incidents the depot may stay open for longer. Check our social media pages (Twitter and Facebook) for updates.
- Windermere: Ecclerigg Depot, Ecclerigg, Windermere, LA23 1LJ Map. You can collect sandbags at any time from the area open to the public
We may be able to deliver sandbags if your health or personal situation mean you can't pick them up. Call us well in advance of flooding because severe conditions can close roads.
We don't provide sandbags for businesses.
Clearing up after a flood
We can collect flood damaged items from your property, please contact us. You must give us your permission to remove damaged property. You will need to confirm which items we can move.
If you work together as a community group to collect used sandbags to a central point, call us and we will pick them up for you.
Homeless due to flooding
If flooding has made you homeless you can contact us about housing options.
Out of hours emergency number: 0870 428 6905
You can report flooding to people who will deal with it:
Report blocked public drains and flooded roads
Contact Cumbria County Council, Highways team. They will clear blocked drains and flooded roads.
Report flooded streams, culverts and groundwater
Contact Cumbria County Council to report flooded streams and culverts. Also to report areas of flooded ground.
Report blocked private drains and burst water mains
Report flooding caused blocked drains and burst water mains to United Utilities.
Report flooding main rivers and sea
The Flood Hub helps householders, businesses, communities and landowners plan for flooding.
Flood alerts and warnings
You can use alerts, warnings and rainfall maps to find out if a flood is likely to happen:
- flood alerts, flood Warnings and what they mean government flood information service
- track heavy rain on the Met Office Rainfall radar map
- get updates from Cumbria Community Messaging
- get Flood Alerts and Warnings from the government flood warning service
Planning to cope with flooding
You can prepare your own emergency, resilience and flood action plan. Some people have already made emergency plans using our emergency plan template. Community emergency planning
Flooding can effect services like electricity, water, gas or highways. You might need emergency updates and contacts.