Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Parish councils

Find which parish in South Lakeland you live in

Parish and town clerks in the South Lakeland area (PDF/155KB/8 pages)

Parish and town councillors are elected at scheduled elections for a four year term. During this time, some parish and town councillors may resign and others may be co-opted to fill the vacancy if no by-election is called. Parish clerks can provide information on their current councillors.

Cumbria Association of Local Councils has further information on parish councils or contact the relevant parish or town clerk for information about a particular parish.

Toolkit for parish and town clerks

Governance toolkit for parish and town councils (PDF/2.3MB/123 pages) helps parish and town clerks to understand the powers and functions of parish councils, as well as the roles and responsibilities of parish councillors.

Declaration of Interests by parish councillors

A Member must register their disclosable monetary interests, along with any other registrable interests as determined by their parish/town council, with our Monitoring Officer.

Declaration of Interest form for parish and town councillors (PDF/92KB/8 pages)

Note: For clarity, part 4 requires the councillors home address as well as details of any other land or premises in which they have a financial interest.

Addendum gifts and hospitality (PDF/66KB/1 page) to be used when a parish and town councillor who has already completed their Declaration of Interest form wishes to declare a new offer.

Addendum other registrable interests (PDF/73KB/2 pages) to be used to disclose changes to "other registrable interests", for example, appointments to outside bodies.

Note:  Using an addendum form means that a parish and town councillor does not need to complete a whole new Declaration of Interests form, unless the change is to do with their "registrable pecuniary interests" (i.e. the first part of the form which covers the legal requirement to disclose), in which case they will need to complete a whole new form.

Government guidance on openness and transparency (PDF/63.4KB/11 pages) provides basic practical information on transparency with respect to personal interests.

The formal Register of Parish Councillors’ Interests is available for inspection by the public at South Lakeland House, Kendal, during normal office opening hours.

Notifications by members of parish and town councils of pecuniary and other registrable interests

Temporary appointments to parish and town councils

Procedure for making temporary appointments to parish and town councils (PDF/10KB/1 page) was approved by Council on 18 May 2016.


If you feel that a parish or town councillor has breached the parish and town councillors’ code of conduct, you can make a complaint to Standards Committee.

Parish Remuneration Panel

The South Lakeland Parish Remuneration Panel is an independent panel that currently consists of four members of the public and makes recommendations on remuneration for parish and town councillors.

The Parish Remuneration Panel Report dated 13 November 2015, makes recommendations for the allowances for 2016 to 2017.

Parish Remuneration Panel report 2016 to 2017 (PDF/169KB/6 pages)