Development brief details
Development briefs provide planning guidance on how specific larger, complex or sensitive sites should be developed.
They show which policies apply to each site and contain detailed guidance on things like access, design and landscaping.
Development briefs are prepared following consultation with the public, developers and delivery partners and are a used when assessing planning applications.
The things development briefs cover include:
- the overall vision for the site
- the type and location of open space and other green infrastructure landscaping design and features
- building design and site layout principles
- accessibility into and through the site
- community and other infrastructure needs
They do not consider merits of the sites as allocations, as the principle of development on the sites has already been approved.
Development brief under preparation
Phase 3B development brief: land east of Milnthorpe Road, Holme
Informed by responses to our Issues and Options consultation, we prepared a Draft Development Brief for the site East of Milnthorpe Road, Holme (PDF/2.3MB/26 pages).
For an accessible version of the brief, please follow the link below.
Other relevant documents, including the Draft Supporting Contextual Information document, are available as part of the Phase 3B Supporting documents.
We invited comments on the Draft Development Brief from Thursday 14 December 2017 to 5pm Thursday 8 February 2018.
We are now working on preparing a final version of the Brief. Responses to the Phase 3B development brief that we received during the above consultation period will be used to inform the final Brief.
Adopted development briefs
Phase 3A development briefs
On 30 August 2017 we adopted two Phase 3A Development Briefs along with supporting contextual information documents for the following sites:
- Development Brief: Green Dragon Farm, Burton-in-Kendal (PDF/2.9MB/27 pages)
- Supporting Contextual Information Document: Green Dragon Farm, Burton-in-Kendal (PDF/2.2MB/52 pages)
- Development Brief: North of Sycamore Close, Endmoor (PDF/2.3MB/25 pages)
- Supporting Contextual Information Document: North of Sycamore Close, Endmoor (PDF/2MB/41 pages)
Phase 2 development briefs
On 23 November 2016 we adopted the three Phase 2 Development Briefs for the following sites:
- land north of Laurel Gardens, Kendal (PDF/2.73MB/53 pages)
- land west of High Sparrowmire, Kendal (PDF/2.79MB/54 pages)
- land South of Allithwaite Road, Kents Bank, Grange over Sands (PDF/3.88MB/86 pages)
Phase 1 development briefs
Development Briefs have been adopted for the following sites:
- land off Cross-a-Moor, Swarthmoor (adopted 26 November 2014) (PDF/4.2MB/49 pages)
- Scroggs Wood, Kendal (adopted 11 February 2015) (PDF/2MB/55 pages)
- Kendal Parks, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2MB/71 pages)
- south of Underbarrow Road, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.9MB/59 pages)
- Stainbank Green, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.73MB/61 pages)
- north of Kendal Road, Kirkby Lonsdale (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.4MB/59 pages)
- south and east of Milnthorpe (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/1.7MB/56 pages)
- Croftlands, Ulverston (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/6.49MB/135 pages)