Development brief details
Development briefs provide planning guidance on how specific larger, complex or sensitive sites should be developed.
They show which policies apply to each site and contain detailed guidance on things like access, design and landscaping.
Development briefs are prepared following consultation with the public, developers and delivery partners and are a used when assessing planning applications.
The things development briefs cover include:
- the overall vision for the site
- the type and location of open space and other green infrastructure landscaping design and features
- building design and site layout principles
- accessibility into and through the site
- community and other infrastructure needs
They do not consider merits of the sites as allocations, as the principle of development on the sites has already been approved.
Adopted development briefs
Phase 3B development brief
On 25 April 2018 we adopted a Development Brief for the site East of Milnthorpe Road, Holme:
- Development Brief: East of Milnthorpe Road, Holme (PDF/2.2MB/26 pages)
- Supporting Contextual Information Document: East of Milnthorpe Road, Holme (PDF/2.2MB/46 pages)
The brief and supporting contextual information document are available to view at the following locations during normal opening hours:
- South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal LA9 4DQ
- Libraries in Kendal and Milnthorpe
Any person aggrieved by the adoption of the Development Brief may apply to the High Court for permission to apply for judicial review of the decision. Any such application must be made promptly and in any event not later than 3 months after the date on which the Brief was adopted (i.e. 3 months after 25 April 2018).
As part of the adoption process we have published an Adoption Statement (PDF/48KB/1 page).
All documents associated with the earlier preparation stages of the brief can be viewed as part of the Phase 3B Supporting documents.
Phase 3A development briefs
On 30 August 2017 we adopted two Phase 3A Development Briefs along with supporting contextual information documents for the following sites:
- Development Brief: Green Dragon Farm, Burton-in-Kendal (PDF/2.9MB/27 pages)
- Supporting Contextual Information Document: Green Dragon Farm, Burton-in-Kendal (PDF/2.2MB/52 pages)
- Development Brief: North of Sycamore Close, Endmoor (PDF/2.3MB/25 pages)
- Supporting Contextual Information Document: North of Sycamore Close, Endmoor (PDF/2MB/41 pages)
Phase 2 development briefs
On 23 November 2016 we adopted the three Phase 2 Development Briefs for the following sites:
- land north of Laurel Gardens, Kendal (PDF/2.73MB/53 pages)
- land west of High Sparrowmire, Kendal (PDF/2.79MB/54 pages)
- land South of Allithwaite Road, Kents Bank, Grange over Sands (PDF/3.88MB/86 pages)
Phase 1 development briefs
Development Briefs have been adopted for the following sites:
- land off Cross-a-Moor, Swarthmoor (adopted 26 November 2014) (PDF/1.2MB/52 pages)
- Scroggs Wood, Kendal (adopted 11 February 2015) (PDF/2MB/55 pages)
- Kendal Parks, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2MB/71 pages)
- south of Underbarrow Road, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.9MB/59 pages)
- Stainbank Green, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.73MB/61 pages)
- north of Kendal Road, Kirkby Lonsdale (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.4MB/59 pages)
- south and east of Milnthorpe (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/1.7MB/56 pages)
- Croftlands, Ulverston (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/6.49MB/135 pages)