Development brief details
What are development briefs?
Development briefs provide planning guidance on how specific larger, complex or sensitive sites should be developed.
They show which policies apply to each site, and contain detailed guidance on things like access, design and landscaping.
Development briefs are decided following consultation with the public, developers and delivery partners and are a used when assessing planning applications.
We are committed to preparing fifteen development briefs in three phases.
What do they cover?
The things development briefs cover include:
- the overall vision for the site
- the type and location of open space and other green infrastructure landscaping design and features
- building design and site layout principles
- accessibility into and through the site
- community and other infrastructure needs
They do not consider merits of the sites as allocations, as the principle of development on the sites has already been approved.
Phase 1 Development Briefs
Development Briefs have been adopted for the following sites:
- land off Cross-a-Moor, Swarthmoor (adopted 26 November 2014) (PDF/4.79MB/49 pages)
- Scroggs Wood, Kendal (adopted 11 February 2015) (PDF/5MB/55 pages)
- Kendal Parks, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2MB/71 pages)
- south of Underbarrow Road, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.9MB/59 pages)
- Stainbank Green, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.69MB/61 pages)
- north of Kendal Road, Kirkby Lonsdale (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.4MB/59 pages)
- south and east of Milnthorpe (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/1.7MB/56 pages)
- Croftlands, Ulverston (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/6.49MB/135 pages)
Phase 2 Development Briefs
On 23 November 2016 we adopted the three Phase 2 Development Briefs for the following sites:
- Land north of Laurel Gardens, Kendal (PDF/2.73MB/53 pages)
- Land west of High Sparrowmire, Kendal (PDF/2.79MB/54 pages)
- Land South of Allithwaite Road, Kents Bank, Grange over Sands (PDF/3.88MB/86 pages)
Phase 3A Development Briefs (current consultation)
Informed by responses to our Issues and Options consultation, we have prepared Draft Development Briefs for the following Phase 3 sites:
- North of Sycamore Close, Endmoor: Draft Development Brief (PDF/3.36MB/59 pages)
- Green Dragon Farm, Burton in Kendal: Draft Development Brief (PDF/4.08MB/69 pages)
The following documents are available on our Phase 3A Development Brief documents webpage:
- A summary of each brief;
- Draft Indicative Land Use Proposals Maps;
- Interim Consultation Statements;
- Supporting ecological and landscape advice documents.
Comments are invited on the proposals in these Draft Development Briefs between Thursday 6 April and 5pm Thursday 25 May 2017. Please see below for full details of how to respond to this consultation.
Phase 3B Development Brief (current consultation)
Having undertaken a scoping and information gathering exercise, we are now at the Issues and Options stage. We have prepared a Proposals Document (PDF/1.24MB/22 pages) (and summary (PDF/635KB/4 pages)), detailed site information and a draft Constraints and Opportunities map for the following Phase 3B site to aid early discussions:
- East of Milnthorpe Road, Holme:
As part of an early engagement exercise we held a placemaking workshop for the above development brief site. A summary of the workshop is available on the Phase 3B Development Brief documents webpage along with other supporting documents.
We are now inviting comments on these documents from Thursday 6 April to 5pm Thursday 21 May 2017.
How to comment and get involved
Comments on the Phase 3A and 3B development brief documents are invited between Thursday 6 April and 5pm Thursday 25 May 2017. These can be made by:
- Using the Council’s online response facility
- Returning a response form: Phase 3A Response Form (PDF/1.63MB/6 pages); Phase 3B Response Form (PDF/1.16MB/8 pages)
- Emailing email@example.com
- Writing to the Development Plans Manager, South Lakeland District Council, South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal LA9 4DL
As part of this consultation, we are holding the following public drop-in events:
|Development Brief||Venue||Date / Time of Event|
|North of Sycamore Close, Endmoor||Endmoor Village Hall, Woodside Road, Endmoor LA8 0HQ||Monday 24th April 2017 (1-7pm)|
|East of Milnthorpe Road, Holme||Holme Parish Hall, Duke Street, Holme LA6 1PS||Thursday 27th April 2017 (1pm-7pm)|
|Green Dragon Farm, Burton in Kendal||Burton Memorial Hall, Main Street, Burton-in-Kendal LA6 1NA||Wednesday 3rd May 2017 (4pm-8pm)|
Documents are also available to view at the following locations during normal opening hours:
- South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal LA9 4DL
- Libraries in Kendal and Milnthorpe.
Note: Please note that any comments made in response to our public consultations cannot be treated as confidential and will be made available for public inspection. Signatures and private addressed will not be made public and any data that you supply will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.