Development brief details
On 30 August 2017 we adopted Development Briefs for sites in Burton-in-Kendal and Endmoor. See the Phase 3A section below for details.
Development briefs provide planning guidance on how specific larger, complex or sensitive sites should be developed.
They show which policies apply to each site and contain detailed guidance on things like access, design and landscaping.
Development briefs are prepared following consultation with the public, developers and delivery partners and are a used when assessing planning applications.
The things development briefs cover include:
- the overall vision for the site
- the type and location of open space and other green infrastructure landscaping design and features
- building design and site layout principles
- accessibility into and through the site
- community and other infrastructure needs
They do not consider merits of the sites as allocations, as the principle of development on the sites has already been approved.
Phase 1 development briefs
Development Briefs have been adopted for the following sites:
- land off Cross-a-Moor, Swarthmoor (adopted 26 November 2014) (PDF/4.2MB/49 pages)
- Scroggs Wood, Kendal (adopted 11 February 2015) (PDF/2MB/55 pages)
- Kendal Parks, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2MB/71 pages)
- south of Underbarrow Road, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.9MB/59 pages)
- Stainbank Green, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.73MB/61 pages)
- north of Kendal Road, Kirkby Lonsdale (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.4MB/59 pages)
- south and east of Milnthorpe (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/1.7MB/56 pages)
- Croftlands, Ulverston (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/6.49MB/135 pages)
Phase 2 development briefs
On 23 November 2016 we adopted the three Phase 2 Development Briefs for the following sites:
- land north of Laurel Gardens, Kendal (PDF/2.73MB/53 pages)
- land west of High Sparrowmire, Kendal (PDF/2.79MB/54 pages)
- land South of Allithwaite Road, Kents Bank, Grange over Sands (PDF/3.88MB/86 pages)
Phase 3A development briefs
On 30 August 2017 we adopted two Phase 3A Development Briefs for the following sites:
Green Dragon Farm, Burton-in-Kendal
- Development Brief: Green Dragon Farm, Burton-in-Kendal (PDF/2.9MB/27 pages)
- Supporting Contextual Information Document: Green Dragon Farm, Burton-in-Kendal (PDF/2.2MB/52 pages)
- Consultation Statement: Green Dragon Farm, Burton-in-Kendal (PDF/2MB/83 pages)
North of Sycamore Close, Endmoor
- Development Brief: North of Sycamore Close, Endmoor (PDF/2.3MB/25 pages)
- Supporting Contextual Information Document: North of Sycamore Close, Endmoor (PDF/2MB/41 pages)
- Consultation Statement: North of Sycamore Close, Endmoor (PDF/3MB/107 pages)
Note: Any person aggrieved by the adoption of any of the Development Brief Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) may apply to the High Court for permission to apply for judicial review of the decision. Any such application must be made promptly and in any event not later than 3 months after the date on which the SPD was adopted.
As part of the adoption process we have published an Adoption Statement (PDF/162KB/1 page).
The above documents are also available to view at South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal, as well as Kendal and Milnthorpe libraries during normal opening hours.
All documents associated with the earlier stages of preparing these briefs can be viewed on the Phase 3A supporting documents page.
Phase 3B development brief
We prepared a Proposals Document (and summary), detailed site information and a draft Constraints and Opportunities map for the following Phase 3B site to aid early discussions. View Phase 3B development brief supporting document.
East of Milnthorpe Road, Holme:
- Site Information Working Document (Appendix 3) (PDF/552KB/20 pages)
- Draft Constraints and Opportunities map (PDF/747KB/1 page)
As part of an early engagement exercise we held a placemaking workshop for the above development brief site.
Phase 3B Development Brief documents include a summary of the workshop and other supporting documents.
We invited comments on the above documents from Thursday 6 April to 5pm Thursday 25 May 2017.
We are now working on preparing the draft Development Brief.
Responses to the Phase 3B Development Brief early consultations will be used to inform the draft Brief.
We will conduct a consultation on the draft Development Brief later in 2017.