Development brief details
Development briefs provide planning guidance on how specific larger, complex or sensitive sites should be developed.
They show which policies apply to each site and contain detailed guidance on things like access, design and landscaping.
Development briefs are prepared following consultation with the public, developers and delivery partners and are a used when assessing planning applications.
The things development briefs cover include:
- the overall vision for the site
- the type and location of open space and other green infrastructure landscaping design and features
- building design and site layout principles
- accessibility into and through the site
- community and other infrastructure needs
They do not consider merits of the sites as allocations, as the principle of development on the sites has already been approved.
Phase 3B development brief: land east of Milnthorpe Road, Holme (current consultation)
Informed by responses to our Issues and Options consultation, we have prepared a Draft Development Brief for the site East of Milnthorpe Road, Holme (PDF/2.3MB/26 pages).
For an accessible version of the brief, please follow the link below.
Other relevant documents, including the Draft Supporting Contextual Information document, are available as part of the Phase 3B Supporting documents.
Hard copies of the documents are also available to view at the following locations during normal opening hours:
- South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal LA9 4DL
- Libraries in Kendal and Milnthorpe
How to comment and get involved
Comments on the Draft Brief and the Draft Supporting Contextual Information document are invited between Thursday 14 December 2017 and 5pm Thursday 8 February 2018. We have extended the consultation period to 8 weeks (up from the statutory 6 weeks) in order to accommodate the Christmas period.
Comments can be made by:
- using our online response facility
- filling in a Phase 3B response form, available from the locations above or on request
- emailing or writing to us using the details at the bottom of the page
If you wish, you can accompany your written suggestions by drawing your ideas onto a map of the site (PDF/147KB/1 page).
Note that comments made in response to our public consultations cannot be treated as confidential and will be made available for public inspection. Signatures and private addresses will not be made public and any data that you supply will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Public drop-in event
As part of the consultation we are also holding a public drop-in session for people to view the relevant documents and discuss the proposals with council officers:
Location: Holme Parish Hall, Duke Street, Holme LA6 1PS
Date: Thursday 11 January 2018
Time: 1pm to 7pm
Phase 3A development briefs
On 30 August 2017 we adopted two Phase 3A Development Briefs along with supporting contextual information documents for the following sites:
- Development Brief: Green Dragon Farm, Burton-in-Kendal (PDF/2.9MB/27 pages)
- Supporting Contextual Information Document: Green Dragon Farm, Burton-in-Kendal (PDF/2.2MB/52 pages)
- Development Brief: North of Sycamore Close, Endmoor (PDF/2.3MB/25 pages)
- Supporting Contextual Information Document: North of Sycamore Close, Endmoor (PDF/2MB/41 pages)
Phase 2 development briefs
On 23 November 2016 we adopted the three Phase 2 Development Briefs for the following sites:
- land north of Laurel Gardens, Kendal (PDF/2.73MB/53 pages)
- land west of High Sparrowmire, Kendal (PDF/2.79MB/54 pages)
- land South of Allithwaite Road, Kents Bank, Grange over Sands (PDF/3.88MB/86 pages)
Phase 1 development briefs
Development Briefs have been adopted for the following sites:
- land off Cross-a-Moor, Swarthmoor (adopted 26 November 2014) (PDF/4.2MB/49 pages)
- Scroggs Wood, Kendal (adopted 11 February 2015) (PDF/2MB/55 pages)
- Kendal Parks, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2MB/71 pages)
- south of Underbarrow Road, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.9MB/59 pages)
- Stainbank Green, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.73MB/61 pages)
- north of Kendal Road, Kirkby Lonsdale (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.4MB/59 pages)
- south and east of Milnthorpe (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/1.7MB/56 pages)
- Croftlands, Ulverston (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/6.49MB/135 pages)