Development brief details
What are development briefs?
Development briefs provide planning guidance on how specific larger, complex or sensitive sites should be developed.
They show which policies apply to each site, and contain detailed guidance on things like access, design and landscaping.
Development briefs are decided following consultation with the public, developers and delivery partners and are a used when assessing planning applications.
We are committed to preparing fifteen development briefs in three phases.
What do they cover?
The things development briefs cover include:
- the overall vision for the site
- the type and location of open space and other green infrastructure landscaping design and features
- building design and site layout principles
- accessibility into and through the site
- community and other infrastructure needs
They do not consider merits of the sites as allocations, as the principle of development on the sites has already been approved.
Phase 1 Development Briefs
Development Briefs have been adopted for the following sites:
- land off Cross-a-Moor, Swarthmoor (adopted 26 November 2014) (PDF/4.79MB/49 pages)
- Scroggs Wood, Kendal (adopted 11 February 2015) (PDF/5MB/55 pages)
- Kendal Parks, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2MB/71 pages)
- south of Underbarrow Road, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.9MB/59 pages)
- Stainbank Green, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.69MB/61 pages)
- north of Kendal Road, Kirkby Lonsdale (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.4MB/59 pages)
- south and east of Milnthorpe (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/1.7MB/56 pages)
- Croftlands, Ulverston (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/6.49MB/135 pages)
Phase 2 Development Briefs
On 23 November 2016 we adopted the three Phase 2 Development Briefs for the following sites:
Land North of Laurel Gardens, Kendal (adopted 23 November 2016)
- Development Brief: Land north of Laurel Gardens, Kendal (PDF/2.73MB/53pages)
- Consultation Statement: Land north of Laurel Gardens, Kendal (PDF/2.77MB/102pages)
Land west of High Sparrowmire, Kendal (adopted 23 November 2016)
- Development Brief: Land west of High Sparrowmire, Kendal (PDF/2.79MB/54pages)
- Consultation Statement: Land west of High Sparrowmire, Kendal (PDF/1.1MB/62pages)
Land South of Allithwaite Road, Kents Bank, Grange over Sands (adopted 23 November 2016)
- Development Brief: Land South of Allithwaite Road, Kents Bank, Grange over Sands (PDF/3.88MB/86pages)
- Consultation Statement: Land south of Allithwaite Road, Kents Bank, Grange over Sands (PDF/2.9MB/214pages)
Note: Any person aggrieved by the adoption of any of the Development Brief SPDs may apply to the High Court for permission to apply for judicial review of the decision. Any such application must be made promptly and in any event not later than 3 months after the date on which the SPD was adopted.
As part of the adoption process we have published an Adoption Statement (PDF/107KB/1page).
All documents associated with earlier stages of preparing these briefs can be viewed on the Phase 2 Development Brief Documents webpage. The documents are also available to view at South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal, as well as Kendal and Grange over Sands libraries.
Phase 3A Development Briefs
Work is continuing on the preparation of the Phase 3A Development Briefs for the following sites:
- north of Sycamore Close, Endmoor
- Green Dragon Farm, Burton-in-Kendal
We have prepared a Proposals document (PDF/1.45MB/25 pages) and a Summary document (PDF/859KB/7 pages) as well as detailed information and a draft Constraints and Opportunities map for each site to aid early discussions about what issues the Briefs should cover and the options for the sites.
Site specific documents are available for each site on our Phase 3A Development Brief documents page.
We invited comments on these documents from Thursday 9 June 2016 to 5pm Thursday 21 July 2016.
We are now working on preparing the draft Development Briefs. Responses to the early consultation will be used to inform the draft Briefs.