Development brief details
What are development briefs?
Development briefs provide planning guidance on how specific larger, complex or sensitive sites should be developed.
They show which policies apply to each site, and contain detailed guidance on things like access, design and landscaping.
Development briefs are prepared following consultation with the public, developers and delivery partners and are a used when assessing planning applications.
What do they cover?
The things development briefs cover include:
- the overall vision for the site
- the type and location of open space and other green infrastructure landscaping design and features
- building design and site layout principles
- accessibility into and through the site
- community and other infrastructure needs
They do not consider merits of the sites as allocations, as the principle of development on the sites has already been approved.
Phase 1 Development Briefs
Development Briefs have been adopted for the following sites:
- land off Cross-a-Moor, Swarthmoor (adopted 26 November 2014) (PDF/4.2MB/49 pages)
- Scroggs Wood, Kendal (adopted 11 February 2015) (PDF/2MB/55 pages)
- Kendal Parks, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2MB/71 pages)
- south of Underbarrow Road, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.9MB/59 pages)
- Stainbank Green, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.73MB/61 pages)
- north of Kendal Road, Kirkby Lonsdale (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/2.4MB/59 pages)
- south and east of Milnthorpe (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/1.7MB/56 pages)
- Croftlands, Ulverston (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF/6.49MB/135 pages)
Phase 2 Development Briefs
On 23 November 2016 we adopted the three Phase 2 Development Briefs for the following sites:
- Land north of Laurel Gardens, Kendal (PDF/2.73MB/53 pages)
- Land west of High Sparrowmire, Kendal (PDF/2.79MB/54 pages)
- Land South of Allithwaite Road, Kents Bank, Grange over Sands (PDF/3.88MB/86 pages)
Phase 3A Development Briefs
Informed by responses to our Issues and Options consultation, we prepared Draft Development Briefs for the following Phase 3 sites:
- North of Sycamore Close, Endmoor: Draft Development Brief (PDF/3.36MB/59 pages)
- Green Dragon Farm, Burton in Kendal: Draft Development Brief (PDF/4.08MB/69 pages)
The following associated documents are available on our Phase 3A Development Brief documents webpage:
- A summary of each brief;
- Draft Indicative Land Use Proposals Maps;
- Interim Consultation Statements;
- Supporting ecological and landscape advice documents.
We invited comments on the Draft Development Briefs from Thursday 6 April to 5pm Thursday 25 May 2017.
We are now working on preparing the final Phase 3A Development Briefs. Responses we received during the above consultation period will be used to inform the final briefs.
Phase 3B Development Brief
We prepared a Proposals Document (PDF/1.24MB/22 pages) (and summary (PDF/635KB/4 pages)), detailed site information and a draft Constraints and Opportunities map for the following Phase 3B site to aid early discussions:
- East of Milnthorpe Road, Holme:
As part of an early engagement exercise we held a placemaking workshop for the above development brief site. A summary of the workshop is available on the Phase 3B Development Brief documents webpage along with other supporting documents.
We invited comments on the above documents from Thursday 6 April to 5pm Thursday 25 May 2017.
We are now working on preparing the draft Development Brief. Responses to the early consultation will be used to inform the draft Brief. We will conduct a consultation on the draft Development Brief later in 2017.