Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) allows us to raise funds from developers and householders undertaking new building projects in South Lakeland. We use the money to help fund the wide range of infrastructure that is needed as a result of development. This includes new or safer road schemes, flood defences, schools, hospitals and other health and social care facilities, park improvements, green spaces and leisure centres.
Am I liable to a CIL payment?
To find out if you need to pay CIL, if you qualify for any exemptions and to access a step by step guide to CIL Planning Portal
How much will I pay?
- CIL is calculated per square metre of development on gross internal area (GIA). CIL Guidance Note 3 GIA (PDF/77KB/1 page) sets out what should be included
- our CIL rates per square metre are set out in the table below. These rates are indexed linked according to the Building Cost Information Service (BCIS) of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RCIS) and will change annually. We use the Q4 BCIS All in tender price as quoted on 2 January each year.
- for residential development, we have three zones with different rates which can be seen on the Charging Zones Map (PDF/2.95MB/1 Page)
- the table shows the rates when CIL was first introduced in 2015. The BCIS index has increased by 11.72% to 2017 so the 2017 Residential rate is £55.86/m2. The other rates have increased similarly by 11.72%
|Development type||Levy rate 2015 £/m2||Levy rate 2017 £/m2|
|Croftlands strategic housing site, south Ulverston||£20/m2||£23.34/m2|
|Kendal and Ulverston Canal Head regeneration areas - all development types||£0/m2||£0/m2|
|Supermarkets and retail warehouses||£150/m2||£167.58/m2|
|Agricultural worker's dwellings||£0/m2||£0/m2|
|Extra care housing||£0/m2||£0/m2|
|All other uses||£0/m2||£0/m2|
How do I work out my CIL?
The multiplier for 2017 is 1.1172.
Multiply the Gross Internal Area of your development by the initial 2015 levy rate by the 1.1172 multiplier.
Eg: 100 sq m x £50 x 1.1172 = £5,586.
Please contact our CIL team for further assistance in calculating CIL.
What happens if I do not pay CIL?
You might incur high costs by not dealing with CIL. We have very strong powers to recover unpaid CIL
CIL in South Lakeland
CIL was introduced by and is regulated in accordance with the CIL regulations 2010 (amended 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014). We have adopted the following polices in accordance with the regulations
- approved CIL Charging Schedule (PDF/2.25MB/4 pages)
- approved CIL Discretionary Social Housing Relief Policy (PDF/19KB/2 pages)
- approved CIL Instalment Policy (PDF/33KB/2 pages)
- approved CIL Surcharges and Interest Policy (PDF/16KB/2 pages)
- approved Regulation 123 List (PDF/7.18MB/8 pages)
- CIL Notice of Approval (PDF/43KB/1 page)
For more information on how we will spend CIL and how it fits in with other council policies refer to CIL and our CIL Infrastructure Delivery Plan
Find out more at the planning portal
- Some special exemptions specific to South Lakeland approved CIL Discretionary Social Housing Relief Policy (PDF/19KB/2 pages)
Can I appeal against CIL?
A guide to making an appeal on at the Planning Portal CIL Appeals