Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) allows us to raise funds from developers and householders undertaking new building projects in South Lakeland. We use the money to help fund the wide range of infrastructure that is needed as a result of development. This includes new or safer road schemes, flood defences, schools, hospitals and other health and social care facilities, park improvements, green spaces and leisure centres.
Find out if you need to pay CIL
To find out if you need to pay CIL, or if you qualify for any exemptions: Step by step guide to CIL on the Planning Portal
- CIL is calculated per square metre of development on gross internal area (GIA). Find out what should be included. CIL Guidance Note 3 GIA (PDF/77KB/1 page)
- our CIL rates per square metre are set out in the table below. These rates are indexed linked according to the Building Cost Information Service (BCIS) of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RCIS) and will change annually. We use the Q4 BCIS All in tender price as quoted on 2 January each year.
- for residential development, we have three zones with different rates. Charging Zones Map (PDF/2.95MB/1 Page)
- the table shows the rates when CIL was first introduced in 2015. The BCIS index has increased by 11.72% to 2017 so the 2017 Residential rate is £55.86/m2. The other rates have increased similarly by 11.72%
|Development type||Levy rate 2015 £/m2||Levy rate 2017 £/m2|
|Croftlands strategic housing site, south Ulverston||£20/m2||£23.34/m2|
|Kendal and Ulverston Canal Head regeneration areas - all development types||£0/m2||£0/m2|
|Supermarkets and retail warehouses||£150/m2||£167.58/m2|
|Agricultural worker's dwellings||£0/m2||£0/m2|
|Extra care housing||£0/m2||£0/m2|
|All other uses||£0/m2||£0/m2|
How to work out CIL
The multiplier for 2017 is 1.1172.
Multiply the Gross Internal Area of your development by the initial 2015 levy rate by the 1.1172 multiplier.
Eg: 100 sq m x £50 x 1.1172 = £5,586.
Please contact our CIL team for further assistance in calculating CIL.
Penalties for avoiding CIL
You might incur high costs by not dealing with CIL. We have very strong powers to recover unpaid CIL.
CIL in South Lakeland
CIL was introduced by and is regulated in accordance with the (amended 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014) CIL regulations 2010. We have adopted the following polices in accordance with the regulations. CIL regulations 2010
- approved CIL Charging Schedule (PDF/2.25MB/4 pages)
- approved CIL Discretionary Social Housing Relief Policy (PDF/19KB/2 pages)
- approved CIL Instalment Policy (PDF/33KB/2 pages)
- approved CIL Surcharges and Interest Policy (PDF/60KB/2 pages)
- approved Regulation 123 List (PDF/7.18MB/8 pages)
- CIL Notice of Approval (PDF/43KB/1 page)
For more information on how we will spend CIL and how it fits in with other council policies refer to CIL and our CIL Infrastructure Delivery Plan.
- Some special exemptions are specific to South Lakeland. Approved CIL Discretionary Social Housing Relief Policy (PDF/19KB/2 pages).