Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) for planning applications
The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) allows us to raise funds from developers and householders undertaking new building projects in South Lakeland. We use the money to help fund the wide range of infrastructure that is needed as a result of development. This includes new or safer road schemes, flood defences, schools, hospitals and other health and social care facilities, park improvements, green spaces and leisure centres.
Find out if you need to pay CIL
To find out if you need to pay CIL, or if you qualify for any exemptions.
- CIL is calculated per square metre of development on gross internal area (GIA). Find out what should be included. CIL Guidance Note 3 GIA (PDF/77KB/1 page)
- our CIL rates per square metre are set out in the table below. These rates are indexed linked according to the Building Cost Information Service (BCIS) of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RCIS) and will change annually. We use the Q4 BCIS All in tender price as quoted on 2 January each year.
- for residential development, we have three zones with different rates. CIL charging Zones Map (PDF/2.95MB/1 Page)
- the table shows the rates when CIL was first introduced in 2015. The BCIS index has increased by 22.3% from 2015 to 2018 so the 2018 Residential rate is £61.13/m2. The other rates have increased similarly by 22.3%
- The accurate way to calculate CIL in 2018 is GIA x 50 x 313/256, so for example, a house of 100 sqm would have a CIL liability of £6,113.29. (313 and 256 are the BCIA index rates in 2018 and 2015 respectively).
|Development type||Levy rate 2015 £/m2||Levy rate 2018 £/m2|
|Croftlands strategic housing site, south Ulverston||£20/m2||£24.45/m2|
|Kendal and Ulverston Canal Head regeneration areas - all development types||£0/m2||£0/m2|
|Supermarkets and retail warehouses||£150/m2||£183.40/m2|
|Agricultural worker's dwellings||£0/m2||£0/m2|
|Extra care housing||£0/m2||£0/m2|
|All other uses||£0/m2||£0/m2|
How to work out CIL
The multiplier for 2018 is 313/256 where 313 and 256 are the BCIS index figures for 2018 and 2015 respectively.
Multiply the Gross Internal Area of your development by the initial 2015 levy rate by the 313/256 multiplier.
Eg: 100 sq m x £50 x 313/256 = £6,113.29.
Please contact our CIL team for further assistance in calculating CIL.
Penalties for avoiding CIL
You might incur high costs by not dealing with CIL. We have very strong powers to recover unpaid CIL.
CIL in South Lakeland
CIL was introduced by and is regulated in accordance with the (amended 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014) CIL regulations 2010. We have adopted the following polices in accordance with the regulations. CIL regulations 2010
- approved CIL Charging Schedule (PDF/2.25MB/4 pages)
- approved CIL Discretionary Social Housing Relief Policy (PDF/19KB/2 pages)
- approved CIL Instalment Policy (PDF/33KB/2 pages)
- approved CIL Surcharges and Interest Policy (PDF/60KB/2 pages)
- approved Regulation 123 List (PDF/7.18MB/8 pages)
- CIL Notice of Approval (PDF/43KB/1 page)
For more information on how we will spend CIL and how it fits in with other council policies refer to CIL and our CIL Infrastructure Delivery Plan.
- Some special exemptions are specific to South Lakeland. Approved CIL Discretionary Social Housing Relief Policy (PDF/19KB/2 pages)
Appeal against CIL
A guide to making an appeal on at the Planning Portal.