Keeping your independence

Last Updated: 3 April 2024

Services, grants, funding and schemes which can help you keep independent at home.

Maintaining your home

Cumbria Community Foundation Winter Warmth Fund
Applicants must be over 60 years old, a Cumbria resident and receive a state pension/ pension credit or struggle to maintain a basic acceptable standard of living through winter months due to cost of heating the home.

Affordable Warmth Scheme: Ofgem
This independent service can advise whether you may be eligible for assistance with insulation or replacement boiler. Eligibility will depend on financial circumstances such as, Pension Credit with the Guarantee Credit element.

Winter fuel Payments
Eligibility for Winter Fuel Payments are related to age. Entitlement depends on age and whether you receive a state pension or a relevant benefit.

Cold Weather Payment
Cold Weather payments are made out when the temperature in your area is below 0 degree Celsius for more than 7 consecutive days during winter. To be eligible you must be in receipt of certain benefits including Pension Credit.

The Department for Work and Pensions will automatically write to people who are eligible.

Warm Home Discount
This may be available to people in receipt of the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit or certain benefits. The Department for Work and Pensions will automatically write to people who are eligible.

Handy person scheme
This is a small repairs and assistance service for householders. It is available for householders who are; over 65 years of age, have a disability or, are vulnerable in some way.

Disabled facilities grant
Disabled Facility Grant (DFG) may be available to help assist with adapting your home to suit your needs better, such as a walk in shower, down stairs toilet or stair lift. Other than for heating, this requirement must follow a recommendation from an Occupational Therapist in communication with Cumbria County Council. A financial contribution may be payable.

Support services provided within the home

Adult Social Care
Contact Adult Social Care for assistance with:

  • health and wellbeing
  • help to stay at home
  • housing with care and support
  • getting out and about
  • assessments for care
  • carers
  • keeping safe
  • information and advice

Oaklea Trust
Oaklea Trust offers a range of packages to help retain independence at home and within the community. Including help with preparation of meals, house work, care and shopping.

Age UK South Lakeland
Age UK South Lakeland has a useful contact list of cleaners/ gardeners/ meal makers/delivery service.

They can also provide assistance in getting back home from hospital, where residents do not have family of friends for support. Please note this is not a 'care providing' service.

South Lakes Housing Independent Living Service
The Independent Living Service can Offer:

  • a Health and Wellbeing Plan, which will be completed by a dedicated Independent Living Officer with you in the comfort of your home
  • a tailored plan around your individual needs, wishes and aspirations
  • a plan which will identify what you need to help you remain living at home and will signpost you to or contact the relevant support organisations to meet your identified requirements
  • quarterly visits to your home to review The Plan and keep it up to date to ensure it meets your current needs
  • regular contact with you via a fortnightly phone call to check you are getting the support identified in The Plan
  • contact with organisations to make sure they are fulfilling their obligations to you

You will receive a Pebbell pendant which offers the latest in digital assistive technology which includes:

  • one touch direct dial to a 24/7 emergency call handling service
  • two-way speech function
  • falling alarm
  • the ability to set safe boundaries on a map for dementia sufferers which will raise an alarm if the boundaries are broken and direct help to your location

Assisted bin collection
Collection from a specific point is possible for residents who are unable to bring their bin to the property curtilage.

Hire of assistance equipment: British Red Cross
For the temporary hire of a wheel chair (non-electric) or commode contact the British Red Cross. Hire can be up to 6 to 8 weeks.

Sight Advice South Lakes
Sight Advice in Kendal offer a one stop hub for people living with sight loss of any type.

Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service
The Fire Service can provide advice to home owners on smoke detectors and fire safety.