Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Licensing Act 2003

Licensing affects anyone concerned with:

  • pubs and nightclubs
  • indoor sporting events
  • off licences
  • restaurants that serve alcohol
  • businesses offering hot foods or drinks between 11pm and 5am
  • hotels and guest houses and other places that serve alcohol
  • private members' clubs and social clubs
  • theatres and amateur dramatic groups
  • cinemas
  • organisers of occasional entertainment
  • live music performances

View our frequently asked questions and answers regarding the Licensing Act 2003 (DOC/340KB/9 pages).

View a list of criminal offences under the Licensing Act (PDF/44KB/7 pages)


We have no control over the fees as they are set by the government.  

You must pay when you apply for a premises licence and club premises certificate. This is followed by an annual maintenance fee.

It is based on the non domestic rateable value of the premises. This is not the same as the amount of non domestic rates payable each year. The cost of a personal licence is £37. View all licensing fees (DOC/23KB/3 pages)

Live Music Act 2012

Under the Live Music Act 2012 live music will cease to be regulated entertainment in venues licensed for the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises in the following situations:

  • when it is unamplified and takes place between 8am and 11pm
  • when it is amplified and takes place in the presence of an audience of 200 persons or less and is provided between 8am and 11pm

The premises must be open for the sale of alcohol during the time that the live music is provided for the exemption/s to take effect. Additionally, any condition attached to the Premises Licence relating to live music ceases to have effect in respect of the live music unless we say otherwise on the licence pursuant to a Review Hearing.

For those premises which are not licensed for alcohol sales, the act states that live music is not regulated entertainment when it is unamplified and takes place between 8am and 11pm.

Amplified music in non-licensed venues will still require formal authorisation from the council, such as a premises licence or temporary event notice. The act also removes the need to license entertainment facilities. This means dance floors, microphone stands and pianos etc.

What is South Lakeland's licensing policy?

Statement of Licensing Policy (PDF/719KB/37 pages)

Find out more

The Department of Culture, Media and Sport has issued Guidance under Section 182 of the Licensing Act 2003. You can also read the Licensing Act 2003.

South Lakes best practice guidance

South Lakes best practice guidance (PDF/1MB/37 pages) will help manage your premises responsibly.

For more information contact any partner agencies mentioned in the document.