Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Pest control

We do not provide a pest control treatment service. 

There are qualified private contractors in the district that can deliver this service, who can be found in the Yellow Pages or in your local paper.

Please note it is the responsibility of all land owners and occupiers to ensure that they control rats and mice on their land and property. 

Where this is not done, we can use our powers to enforce land owners and occupiers to take action to control vermin.  

Householders can assist in preventing infestation by some simple measures:

  • remove potential nesting sites by keeping yards and gardens clean and tidy, and by cutting back overgrown areas
  • do not feed wild birds or other animals to excess - you may be feeding rats as well
  • keep your home in good repair so that rats cannot gain access to it. Ensure that the drain inspection covers are in place and are in good repair
  • do not leave household waste where rats can get at it

We recommend that you contact the RSPCA for advice on the legal aspects of culling animals or birds before taking any action.  

Further information on pests is available from the British Pest Control Association and the National Pest Technicians Association.

Natural England also produce a range of information leaflets on wildlife control (including pest species). The leaflets give advice on control methods and relevant legislation.