We do not provide a pest control treatment service, you will need to contact a private contractor to deliver this service.
South Lakeland pest control services lists qualified private contractors in the district or they can be found in your local paper.
Please note it is the responsibility of all land owners and occupiers to ensure that they control rats and mice on their land and property.
Where this is not done, we can use our powers to enforce land owners and occupiers to take action to control vermin.
Householders can assist in preventing infestation by some simple measures:
- remove potential nesting sites by keeping yards and gardens clean and tidy, and by cutting back overgrown areas
- do not feed wild birds or other animals to excess, you may be feeding rats as well
- keep your home in good repair so that rats cannot gain access to it. Ensure that the drain inspection covers are in place and are in good repair
- do not leave household waste where rats can get at it
Further information on pests is available from the:
Natural England also produce a range of information leaflets on wildlife control (including pest species). The leaflets give advice on control methods and relevant legislation.
Nuisance caused by seagulls
Seagulls can cause a number of problems increasingly in urban areas, this can include noise, mess from droppings, damage to properties, blocking gas flues with nesting materials and diving and swooping at people and animals.
We do not have a duty to deal with seagulls, however there are some steps that you can take to deter seagulls.
What you can do on a daily basis
- remove any possible food sources including pet food and accessible household waste
- keep your rubbish in bins until the day of collection wherever practical
- make sure your bins have secured lids
- use special bird feeders rather than putting food on the floor
- pick up and disposing of any litter outside your property
- commercial properties should keep the streets at the front and back of the premises free of litter and black rubbish bags
Proof buildings with nets and/or spikes
How we can help
You can report issues concerning waste and the feeding of seagulls to Customer Services.