Last Updated: 16 March 2021
We do not provide a pest control service, you will need to contact a private contractor. South Lakeland pest control services lists qualified private contractors in the district.
Land owners and occupiers must make sure that they control rats and mice on their land and property. We can use our powers to make them control vermin.
You can help prevent vermin:
- remove potential vermin nesting sites by keeping your yard and garden clean and tidy, and by cutting back overgrown areas
- do not feed wild birds or other animals too much, you might be feeding rats as well
- keep your home in good repair so that rats can't get in. Make sure that drain inspection covers are in place and are in good repair
- do not leave household waste where rats can get at it
Further information on pests is available from the:
Natural England have information on wildlife control that gives advice on control methods and relevant legislation.
Nuisance caused by seagulls
Seagulls can cause problems in urban areas this can include noise, mess from droppings, damage to properties, blocking gas flues with nesting materials and diving and swooping at people and animals.
We do not have a duty to deal with seagulls, however there are some steps that you can take to deter seagulls.
What you can do on a daily basis
- remove any possible food sources including pet food and accessible household waste
- keep your rubbish in bins until the day of collection wherever practical
- make sure your bins have secured lids
- use special bird feeders rather than putting food on the floor
- pick up and disposing of any litter outside your property
- commercial properties should keep the streets at the front and back of the premises free of litter and black rubbish bags
Proof buildings with nets and/or spikes
How we can help
You can report issues concerning waste and the feeding of seagulls to Customer Services.