Pre application advice and fees
If you need planning permission, you will need to discuss your proposals with our planning officer.
This will help us understand the project and any potential problems. It also offers a chance to consider wider consultation, where appropriate, with the public and other groups which can lead to a better outcome for everyone.
Please note: we are unable to accept pre-application advice enquiries for any of the National Park extension areas (where the boundary changed on the 1 August 2016)
Benefits of pre-application discussions:
- identify opportunities for improvement at a stage when a proposal can still be modified, resulting in better quality developments
- significantly increase the likelihood of getting planning permission
- allow more opportunity to coordinate investment
- help to communicate the vision and objectives for South Lakeland
- develop a shared understanding of constraints and opportunities
- agree information requirements and identify proposals that are unlikely to be supported
- establish timescales and explain the planning processes
- reduce delays further down the line
We offer a pre application advice service. Full details can be found in this document, there is a fee for this service. Guidance and fees for pre application advice (PDF/56 KB/3 pages)
You are strongly advised to use this service. Applications submitted without any pre application discussions are likely to be refused where significant amendments are required.
A request for pre application advice can be made on the application form below.
You must provide the minimum level of information to ensure appropriate advice can be given. There is no fee for listed buildings or works to adapt a property for a disabled person.