Abbot Hall is the central park in Kendal. It has a children’s play area, an open grass field and a crown bowling green.
The park is adjacent to Abbot Hall art gallery and museum and close to Kendal Parish Church. It is within walking distance of Kendal town centre.
Bowling Fell is situated on Kendal Heights and is close to the town centre car parks and Beast Banks.
Bowling Fell is the site of Kendal's first castle, the remnants of the bailey and motte are still there today at what is known as Castle Howe. An obelisk was put in place in 1788 to commemorate the Glorious Revolution of 1688.
Kendal Civic Society believe that Bowling Fell was Kendal's first official park and was used as a bowling green for a game that would be similar to boules. It is a scheduled monument of historic importance and offers excellent views of the Kendal skyline.
Castle Hill is the site of Kendal Castle.
There are information boards on site and information leaflets available from the Tourist Information Centre at the Made in Cumbria shop on Branthwaite Brow, as well as interactive media in Kendal Museum.
The hill gives commanding views which are popular with walkers and provides space for outdoor activities.
Parking is available on Castle Drive, although it is within walking distance of the town centre car parks.
Adjacent to Sunnyside, Fletcher Park is a large open green area with woodland areas and larger ornamental trees. There are spacious grassed areas and large tree stumps for a natural play space. Through the middle of the park is a public footpath which leads to Kendal Castle.
We are working with the Friends of Fletcher Park on improvements to the park and a public consultation was completed in September 2018.
Overlooking the River Kent on Natland Road, Ford Park is formally laid out as an ornamental park.
There are floral displays and shrub beds, as well as a riverside walk leading to the centre of Kendal.
A beautiful tranquil park in the centre of Kendal. A great place to sit and enjoy your lunch. The park consists of Nobles Rest, Swine Parrock and Town View Field where The Friends of Nobles Rest are creating a wildflower meadow. The park can be accessed from Maude Street, Windermere Road or Low Fell Side.
SLDC are working in partnership with The Friends of Nobles Rest, Kendal Town Council and Kendal Civic Society to improve the area for future generations. The park was closed for several months while drainage and path work was undertaken. The official opening took place on Sunday 2 September 2018 and was conducted by the Lord Lieutenant of Cumbria.
Sessions are held on the park by the Nobles Rest Gardening Group (with assistance from Kendal Conservation Volunteers) to tidy up the woodland area, plant wildflowers in the meadow and perennials in the central area.
If you would like to get involved please contact the Parks and Open Spaces team, details are listed below.
Formerly called 'Dob Freer', which is a Cumbrian dialect term for free land, this area is off Queen's Road, in the west of Kendal.
The name Serpentine Woods comes from the layout of paths as they wind in and out of the woodland.
There are 3 miles of woodland trails through trees and shrubs growing over a bed of limestone pavement. There are also magnificent views of the fells and across Kendal.