Kendal Fell Advisory Group (KFAG)
The Kendal Fell Advisory Group (KFAG) is working with us to establish how people would like to see Kendal Fell managed in The future.
We want to know how people feel about the fell and how its users are affected day to day. Do the management plan, code of conduct and signage plans we have produced address the concerns that people may have?
We also want know if there are positive things about Kendal Fell to highlight and celebrate. Is there anything we have missed? Are there parts of the plans we can strengthen or areas that are factually incorrect?
Comment and give us feedback
The consultation is open between Tuesday 11 June and Wednesday 31 July 2019.
The documents and ideas we are asking you to comment on are:
You can see hard copies of the management and action plan at:
- South Lakeland House
- Kendal Town Hall
- Kendal Library
- Kendal Golf Club
The plan provides a history of the fell and confirms ownership of the various parts. It notes features of ecological and cultural interest and provides a summary of the past and current management. It provides us with a priority list for future management, with maps and species lists for birds, butterflies and plants.
This Action Plan forms part of the 2018 Kendal Fell and Golf Course Management Plan. It provides details of the management actions to occur within a five year timeframe starting in 2019.
This sets out advice for users of Kendal Fell which will hopefully ensure harmonious use. People will use the fell for different reasons and we must respect everyone that uses it. We also need to look after our precious environment. We need to understand, and be aware of, our surroundings and the rare species found on the fell.
Proposed code of conduct for Kendal Fell
'This Fell has been managed and used by the people of Kendal for over 250 years and continues to provide the location for a wide variety of recreational activities and encounters with nature. Please help us to look after it by following this code of conduct':
- respect the interests of other people. Do not act in ways that might annoy or alarm people. Be aware of all fell users and act with courtesy and
consideration towards them
- take responsibility for your own actions. Be responsible for your own safety and that of others, be aware of risks
- care for the environment. Look after the places you visit and leave the land as you find it
- protect wildlife, plants and animals. Protect and care for the natural environment to add to everybody’s enjoyment
- keep your dogs under proper control. Take special care during the bird breeding season, and always pick up after your dog
- follow local signage and advice
We propose to put signs at various entrance points around the fell. The signs will include the history of the fell, code of conduct, various interest points and maps to help you find the safest paths on the fell. Map showing location of signs (PDF 924KB / 1page)
The KFAG is made up of:
• Fellside Forum
• Kendal Golf Club
• Kendal Civic Society
• Butterfly Conservation
• Open Spaces Society
• Friends of the Lake District
• Cumbria Wildlife Trust
• South Lakeland District Council (SLDC)
The aims of the KFAG
The aims of the Kendal Fell Advisory Group (KFAG) are to:
- conserve and enhance the features that contribute to the value of the area for recreation including the historic environment of the area
- encourage local people to use the fell for lawful sports and pastimes
- preserve, restore and work with nature in ways that contribute to the sustainable development of Kendal
- ensure that people understand and celebrate the significance of the fell through educational and outreach activities
- involve local communities in the management of the area in ways that promote its responsible use and encourage people to give their time and effort to make it a better place
Terms of reference for the KFAG
The role of the KFAG is to advise South Lakeland District Council and co-ordinate activities aimed at achieving the above aims by:
- setting management objectives for the historic area of Kendal Fell
- organising and reviewing progress against specific management objectives and actions as agreed in formal fell management or action plans
- promoting the use of the fell in ways that are consistent with the aims of the KFAG and its status as a “Town Green”
- co-ordinating plans and activities designed to achieve these objectives by:
- promoting the participation of local communities, volunteers, businesses and other stakeholders in the management and general enhancement of the area
- establishing and maintaining methods of communication that enable citizens to participate in the development of the plans and their implementation and which encourage appropriate use of the area for recreational purposes
- designing participatory monitoring schemes aimed at measuring changes in the condition of the area to assess the effectiveness of management
- promoting the use of the area for educational purposes
- developing and promoting a general “Kendal Fell Code of Conduct”
- identifying and pursuing partnerships, sources of funding and other opportunities need to secure any additional resources required to achieve the aims