Supported and extra care housing
Last Updated: 4 October 2023
There are housing schemes available within the district which provide support for people who want to live independently and for elderly people who require housing and care services.
There are a number of supported housing schemes which provide support so that residents can eventually move in to their own home.
There are schemes for people with:
- learning disabilities
- physical disabilities
- mental health problems
- issues with domestic violence
- problems with homelessness
Housing related support can help with:
- becoming more independent
- applying for benefits, budgeting and managing debt
- finding somewhere to live and setting up home
- access to other support or community services
- support to access work or training
- dealing with other professionals, family and neighbours and access to advice and guidance
- support to maintain health and well being
- security of the home and personal safety
Supported accommodation for people with disabilities
Fair Oak Housing Association. Telephone: 01539 720 082
Leonard Cheshire Disability. Telephone: 01539 442 500
Extra care housing
Extra care housing schemes are housing for older people who also require care services. These schemes provide an on site care team along with a scheme manager.
Schemes with homes for rent are located in Kendal and Ambleside managed by Riverside.
Telephone: 03448 736 290
Impact also has a shared equity scheme in Kendal where you purchase a share in the home. Contact Impact for more information.
South Lakes Housing has an extra care scheme at Windermere that includes dementia friendly elements. Telephone: 0300 303 8540
Cumbria County Council: extra care housing and supported living provides further information about support available in the area.