Sheltered housing

Last Updated: 3 April 2024

Sheltered Housing schemes provide accommodation for people to live independently. There is usually a scheme manager to contact during office hours. 

South Lakes Housing provides housing for the elderly and people with disabilities. 

There are schemes in:

  • Ulverston
  • Windermere
  • Ambleside
  • Sedbergh
  • Kendal
  • Kirkby Lonsdale
  • Grange over Sands

Cumbria Choice advertise any vacancies. You will need to register online to make bids. 

Sheltered schemes do not provide personal care packages. For future support or assistance, residents can arrange for individual care needs.

The sheltered housing providers listed below, include private and social housing schemes:

The Abbeyfield Society
This is a registered national charity providing ‘family style’ houses for older people who want independence but are unable or don’t wish to live alone.

They have a care home in Milnthorpe (Telephone: 01539 562 251) with 24 hour care.

Supported housing is also available in Ulverston (Telephone: 01229 582 265).

Abbeyfield have other properties in the wider Cumbria and Lancashire areas. You can contact them by calling 01727 857 536.

Anchor Trust
This is a not for profit organisation helping older people live independently. Anchor Trust has properties both for rent and to buy in South Lakeland.

Rented homes, Care and Extra Care homes can also be found in the North Lakes areas:

  • Penrith
  • Cockermouth
  • Keswick
  • Lazonby

To find properties in your area Telephone: 0800 102 4175.

For Penrith Sheltered Housing:

  • Merlin Court: 01768 868 070
  • Eden Court: 01768 898 812

Gatesbield Quaker Housing Association Ltd
This is a sheltered scheme in Windermere for independent retired persons. Care services are not provided. Individuals can arrange their own care services if they need it in the future. Accommodation is for Quakers and local persons sympathetic to the principles of Quakers.

For more information:

Plumtree Hall Retirement Apartments
The apartments in Heversham provide private sheltered accommodation. Retired people can live independently with the benefit of companionship. Care services are not provided. Individuals can arrange their own care services if they need it in the future.

Telephone 015395 62661 or email

Lake District Housing Association Ltd
Residential apartments to rent for over 55’s, set in grounds overlooking Lake Windermere, with on-site House Manager.
Care services are not provided but can be arranged privately.
Enquiries Telephone : 015394 43016

Ashleigh Court
Specialises in housing for older persons and people with disabilities. They offer both rental and lease options. Their local scheme is in Arnside.
For lettings enquiries. Telephone: 0800 280 2575
Local Estate Agents advertise leasehold properties.

Johnnie Johnson
This is a charitable housing organisation providing homes for people including older people throughout the north west. They have an ‘over 55’s’ scheme in Arnside, with apartments to rent. Contact the Independent Living Co-ordinator at Millom Court by calling 01524 761 861.

McCarthy & Stone
They are the UK’s leading retirement house builder. They build high quality privately owned apartments to suit all lifestyles and stages of retirement. Their Retirement Living, Retirement Living Plus and Lifestyle Living products help people to live their retirement to the full. Including maintenance and varying levels of support and care for older homeowners. Telephone: 0800 201 0385.