Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Low cost housing for older people

Private rented providers of Social Housing, also known as Housing Associations

Organisation Service provided
South Lakes Housing

Contact South Lakes Housing for information about renting social housing and sheltered accommodation for people over 64 years old. You will need to join the housing register through Cumbria Choice.

Telephone: 0300 303 8540 (24 hours)


Impact Housing Association

Impact provides social housing for rent, they manage some properties for people over 55 years old. Applications will be through Cumbria Choice. 

Telephone: 03448 736 290 (24 hour local rate number)

Impact Housing over 55's properties

Jenkins Crag Court, Kendal. Telephone: 01539 729 591

Rowan Court, Ambleside. Telephone: 01539 432 557

Home Group Housing Ltd

Home Group manage some social housing properties for people over 55 years old. Contact them directly for information or apply via Cumbria Choice.

Telephone: 0345 141 4663

Castles and Coast Housing Association

Castles and Coast has some flats which are allocated for people over 55 years of age and some bungalows with walk in showers for people with mobility concerns. Applications are via Cumbria Choice, but you can call Castles and Coast and ask for the Kendal office for help with your application.

Telephone: 0800 085 1171


Other Housing;

Almshouses and Charities

Kendal Almshouses are independent living properties let to persons over 55 years of age from the Kendal Parishes. Vacancies are advertised in the Westmorland Gazette and the Kendal Almshouse Charity website.

Kendal Almshouse Charity, Clerk of the Trustees. Telephone: 01539 739 590/739 597

Almhouses Association national number: 01344 452 922

Advice and support

Contact our Housing Options team on 01539 733 333 if you are at risk of losing your home, have to move quickly in an emergency or considering applying for homes to rent.

Age UK South Lakeland provide free advice either over the phone on 030 300 30003 or face to face at the Kendal or Ulverston Resource Centre.

Open: Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm

Positive Feedback Okay Feedback Negative Feedback
Please rate this page