Advocacy services

Last Updated: 28 February 2023

The following organisations provide free advice and assistance to both older people and their families or carers:

South Lakes Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB)
CAB provide an advocacy service, including advice on:

  • housing law
  • debt
  • welfare law

Age UK
Age UK provides a variety of services covering a range of topics for older people, their family members and carers. 

Independent Age
Independent Age is a charitable organisation which provides telephone advice only to older people and their families.

This can include:

  • care and support
  • money and benefits
  • health and mobility
  • signpost to local agencies

Compass in Cumbria
Compass is an online way of finding information and linking charitable organisations with adult social care and health. A drop in service is also provided at the Gillinggate Centre, Gillinggate, Kendal.

The Elderly Accommodation Counsel
For information and advice on care, housing and financial options.

This online service also has a ‘self-help’ tool available to help think about your own home and how well does your home suit you?.

If you are having issues paying your bills please see our financial hardship help, advice and support.