Policy on Discharging the Homelessness Duty
Last Updated: 17 May 2023
This policy considers a number of factors in discharging the homelessness duty in the private rented sector, namely:
- in what circumstances of a private rented sector tenancy be suitable for a statutory homeless household?
- can a sufficient supply of private rented properties be made available for this purpose?
- is the property in a 'suitable' condition in terms of standards and management?
- will the property be affordable to the ingoing tenants?
- is the property a 'suitable' offer taking into account the need to be a reasonable distance from work, schools etc.
Policy on Discharging the Homelessness Duty 2013 (PDF 130KB / 6 pages)
For further advice contact the Housing Options team using the details below or call the out of hours number on 0870 428 6905. Charges may apply.