Policy on Discharging the Homelessness Duty
Last Updated: 17 May 2023
This policy considers a number of factors in discharging the homelessness duty in the private rented sector, namely:
- in what circumstances of a private rented sector tenancy be suitable for a statutory homeless household?
- can a sufficient supply of private rented properties be made available for this purpose?
- is the property in a 'suitable' condition in terms of standards and management?
- will the property be affordable to the ingoing tenants?
- is the property a 'suitable' offer taking into account the need to be a reasonable distance from work, schools etc.
For further advice contact the Housing Options team using the details below or call the out of hours number on 0870 428 6905. Charges may apply.