Somewhere to call home

Last Updated: 3 April 2024

The first thing you need to do is to decide what kind of place you are looking for and where. Most young people find that they have to compromise at first and only get what they really want later on.

If you are under 35 and need help from housing benefit to pay the rent you’ll only be given enough money to pay for a single room in a shared house. This does not apply to council or housing association properties. Neither does it apply if you have been in care.


It is worth taking a friend, family member or youth worker with you to look at where you are thinking of moving to and consider the following factors:

  • what do they think of the place, and the area?
  • how do you feel about it?
  • would you feel safe in the area at night?
  • is there a good bus service?
  • if you've got a motorbike, bicycle or car is there anywhere safe to keep it?
  • are there neighbours who are likely to complain about you making noise?
  • is there a garden?

Moving in

If you are thinking of moving into unfurnished accommodation, the following list suggests items you are likely to need to set up home:

  • cooker
  • fridge
  • kettle
  • bed and bedding
  • tables and chairs/sofa
  • curtains/blinds
  • floor covering
  • pots and pans
  • knives, forks, spoons, plates and mugs
  • towels
  • iron and ironing board
  • light bulbs and shades
  • TV/radio
  • wardrobe and/or chest of drawers
  • emergency equipment such as torch, candles, matches, screwdriver

If you are moving into a furnished property you will still need bedding, towels and a TV/radio.

Finding furniture and household items

If you would prefer to take on an unfurnished property, you will have to find furniture from somewhere. Here are some suggestions:

  • look for second hand furniture from charity shops and voluntary agencies
  • ask family and friends if they have anything they do not need
  • try to avoid buying new furniture or ordering anything on credit
  • do not accept stolen goods
  • do not wire up electrical goods yourself unless you know what you are doing
  • do not accept a soiled mattress or faulty electrical goods
  • be careful with second hand electrical goods

Ask friends and family who have cars to help with the move or better still someone who has a van.

Update contact details

Some people you may need to contact when you move home:

  • your bank or building society
  • benefits agency
  • Job Centre Plus
  • your employer
  • Council Tax
  • doctor, dentist, optician
  • DVLA at Swansea if you have a driving licence, motorbike or car, if not you could incur a huge fine
  • any training scheme
  • gas and electricity companies
  • Inland Revenue
  • school or college
  • social worker
  • any firm or shop which you have an account with or which has your address
  • mail order companies
  • support agencies with which you are involved
  • the Courts

Gas, electricity and water

It is very important to take a gas and electricity meter reading when you move in and send it to the supplier. If you do not, you could end up paying the previous tenant’s or owner’s last bill as well as your own. It is also important to find out where the stopcock is. This turns the main water supply to the house on and off. Also make sure you find out how the heating system works and that you know how to turn it on and off.

Settling in to your new home


Keep in touch with people who can offer you support such as family and friends, social workers and support workers. But do not forget it is your home so make sure visitors treat the property with respect. Here are some suggestions:

  • try to tidy up for people coming round. It will show that you care for your home and you want them to respect it too
  • find out when the last bus is so you do not have unwanted overnight guests
  • think about your neighbours, especially if your friends like to play loud music
  • encourage your visitors to leave at a reasonable time
  • let neighbours know if you are having a party
  • try not to let friends move in or take over
  • do not to allow drugs into your home

If you cause too much noise, allow drugs into your house etc., the police could become involved and you may lose your home.

Suggestions for stretching the pounds in your pocket

  • try second hand shops, charity shops and car boot sales for clothes, books, CDs and household goods
  • the library lends out books for free and charge a small payment for DVDs and CDs
  • avoid buying items on credit or from mail order catalogues as they can be expensive and may lead to debt if you cannot pay them back
  • telephone line rental is expensive, think about whether you will need one and can afford it
  • if you have a mobile phone contact your supplier for the best deals
  • food shopping can be costly so try and plan meals a few days in advance and use leftovers the next day or freeze them
  • look out for cheap local shops, discount stores and supermarket own brands for big savings
  • cut heating costs by using plug in oil filled radiators and halogen heaters instead of fan heaters and electric bar fires, which can be expensive to run
  • use the heating as little as possible and keep it on a low setting when it is on
  • do not heat rooms you are not using and turn the heating off when you go out
  • use draught excluders around doors and windows to keep heat in
  • baths use a lot of water so try to have showers instead if you have one

Money problems

If you find it difficult to pay your bills, do not ignore them. South Lakes Citizen’s Advice can help you talk to the people you owe money to and work out ways of paying it off. Most companies understand about money problems, but they can only help if you let them know.

For further advice contact the Housing Options team using the details below or call the out of hours number on 0870 428 6905. Charges may apply


There are two laws to protect you from harassment. This includes racial abuse, threats of violence from neighbours or a partner. It also includes grief from a landlord. Do not hesitate to call the Police if you need to. We can also provide advice or prosecute a bad private landlord who harasses you.

If you feel that you are being unfairly treated or not getting repairs attended to as required you can contact: