Single and homeless from a non violent relationship breakdown housing advice

Last Updated: 5 March 2024

Housing rights in a relationship breakdown can be complicated and you may need to seek legal advice.

If you have a joint tenancy or own a property with your ex-partner you may still have rights to occupy the place you are living in together.

To check what your rights are, contact our Housing Options Service on 01539 793 199.

Help from Housing Options if you are single and homeless

We might not be legally obliged to provide you with temporary accommodation, we might be limited to providing you with advice and assistance only. For us to be legally obliged to provide you with temporary accommodation it will have to be satisfied that you are eligible, homeless, in priority need and that you have not made yourself intentionally homeless.

We will take into account if you have spent time in prison when deciding how to treat you, even if it has been some time since you were released.

We will also look at whether you:

  • have a mental illness
  • have a learning disability or physical disability
  • are under 21 and have been in care and are under 21
  • were in the armed forces
  • are fleeing violence or threats of violence

If we decide that you have made yourself intentionally homeless and you are in temporary accommodation then you will be given a ‘reasonable’ period of time to enable you to look for alternative accommodation.

Additional housing help and advice

Shelter: relationship breakdown outlines what your housing rights are after splitting up.

Citizens Advice can provide general and legal advice.

If you’ve decided that you need to find a new home, you can register on the Cumbria Choice housing register.