Who can apply for Council Tax Reduction

Last Updated: 4 October 2023

We have a localised Council Tax Reduction scheme to help customers on a low income to pay their Council Tax. Anyone who has to pay Council Tax can make a claim. The scheme is based on income, capital and your personal circumstances.

If you pay Council Tax and share your home with someone who is on a low income, you may also be entitled under the Alternative Council Tax Reduction scheme.

How Council Tax Reduction is calculated

The amount of reduction you can get depends on:

  • your savings
  • how much money you have coming in
  • your personal circumstances (your age, whether you have a partner, how many children you have, whether you are disabled and whether you have other people living with you who do not depend on you for support)
  • the amount of your Council Tax

If you are on a low income, your Council Tax bill may be reduced.

You normally don't pay Council Tax if you make an application for Council Tax Reduction and receive:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Guarantee Pension Credit

You cannot normally get Council Tax Reduction if:

  • you, or your partner together have more than £16,000 in savings
  • you are not one of the liable people for Council Tax (your name should be on the bill)

How income and savings are calculated

Use our benefits calculator to estimate how much Council Tax Reduction you may be able to get. You can also use the calculator to check to see what will happen if your circumstances change.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

Full details of our Council Tax Reduction scheme (PDF 1.5MB / 153 pages)