Backdating Council Tax Reduction

Last Updated: 31 July 2023

If there is a reason which stopped or delayed you applying for Council Tax Reduction you can ask for your application to be 'backdated' so that it starts from an earlier date.

Your application for Council Tax Reduction must be made in writing on an application form. Normally we will start your application from the Monday after we receive your form. It is very important that you get your form to us as soon as possible because it affects the date your benefit will start. If we send you a form we will allow you one month to complete and return it. If you take longer than one month to return the form you might lose your application.

Council Tax Reduction backdating rules

You can only ask for a backdate if there is a reason why you were unable to apply for your benefit earlier. If you disagree with the date your award starts from for any other reason you can appeal against the decision.

Appeal against a backdating decision

In order for a backdate of Council Tax Reduction to be allowed you will have to show 'good cause' why you did not apply earlier. There is no formal definition of 'good cause', each case will be decided on the individual situation. There are also no set time limits on making a backdate request.

The maximum period that an award can be backdated is six months for anyone who has not reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit. There is an automatic maximum three month backdate for anyone that has reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit.