Applying for an interim authority notice or a review of premises licence
Last Updated: 23 November 2022
If a premises licence holder;
- dies suddenly
- becomes mentally incapable
- becomes bankrupt
- is no longer entitled to work in the UK
The licence will lapse and the transfer application or interim authority notice must be applied for within 28 consecutive days.
Interim authority notice
A interim authority notice allows an individual to act as a licence holder and continue to carry out the licensable activities at the premises for up to 3 months.
A formal transfer application must be made before the end of the 3 months or the licence will lapse.
Who can apply
You may apply if any of the following applies:
- you are carrying on or proposing to carry on a business in the premises to which the application relates
- you are connected to the former holder of the licence (normally a personal representative to the former holder, or a person with power or attorney, or where someone has become insolvent, that persons insolvencies practitioner)
- you must be entitled to work in the UK
- individual applicants must be aged 18 or over
If you would like to apply for an interim authority notice fill in the interim authority application form (DOC 187KB / 8 pages).
Review of a premises licence
The Licensing Act 2003 allows a responsible authority or interested party to make an application to review a premises licence or club premises certificate.
An interested party is one of the following:
- any of the responsible authorities
- a person living in the vicinity of the premises
- a body, for example a residents or business association
It must relate to one or more of the statutory licensing objectives:
- prevention of crime and disorder
- prevention of public nuisance
- public safety
- protection of children from harm
How to apply
You will need to fill in an application for a review of a premises licence or club premises certificate (DOC 88KB / 8 pages).
When we have received an application for a review we have to display a notice outlining the grounds for the review on the premises and on our website for 28 days.
If members of the public wish to submit further representations about the review, you will need to fill in a representation form (PDF 25KB / 1 page).