Health and safety in the workplace

Last Updated: 3 April 2024

Our Food and Safety Group are responsible for health and safety in:

  • offices
  • shops
  • hotels
  • guest houses
  • catering services
  • care homes
  • warehouses

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is responsible for:

  • factories
  • farms
  • building sites
  • nursing

Our role

Our environmental health officers inspect workplaces to make sure they are obeying the law and aim to help employers understand the importance of health and safety.

They investigate accidents and complaints.

Enforcement is only necessary as a last resort.

How to report accidents

The accident will then be picked up from the RIDDOR website by us and passed to one of our environmental health officers to investigate.

If you are unsure if an accident should be reported you can call:

  • the incident contact centre on 0845 300 9923
  • our Public Protection team

If you are dissatisfied with the response you have received following this process you can contact the Independent Regulatory Challenge Panel.

Acts and regulations

Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974

The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR)

Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992

These regulations expand on the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. They are intended to protect the health and safety of everyone in the workplace and make sure welfare facilities are provided for people at work.

The Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981

Employers are required to provide employees with adequate equipment, facilities and personnel to enable first aid to be given.

Further information can be obtained from the: