Trade waste and recycling

Last Updated: 20 November 2023

Owners and operators are responsible for making sure the waste from their business is disposed of correctly.

We do not collect or recycle trade waste. There are registered private operators who will.

Businesses that are having a domestic waste collection

Businesses must pay for the collection and disposal of commercial waste. This includes any waste from a property providing self-catering accommodation. The Controlled Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2012 states that holiday lets and self-catering accommodation are not permitted to use the local council’s household collection service due to qualifying as a business. This is regardless of the number of days you let your property out per year.

This includes if you rent out:

  • your home
  • annexe
  • or caravan

The cost of commercial waste collections are not covered by paying your Council Tax or Business Rates.

All providers of holiday lets/accommodation will need to ensure their waste is paid for.

If you live at the same premises as your holiday accommodation, you are classed as a mixed property.

You must separate your waste into:

  • household waste (from your property)
  • commercial waste (from your guests)

Report businesses using domestic bins

By law businesses have to make sure their waste is managed correctly: waste duty of care code of practice. It must be collected and disposed of by a licensed waste carrier. Right Waste, Right Place guide has been produced to help you follow the law.

Disposing of waste

Your waste must be kept secure and be collected by a licensed waste carrier, who is registered with the Environment Agency.

You can check by contacting the Environment Agency on 0870 850 6506, or search for a registered waste carrier.

Check if you need a waste carrier's license

It is illegal to dispose of your waste by: 

  • using a street litter bin
  • pretending it is household waste 
  • using recycling banks

Recording the collection of your waste

You must keep a record to prove you arranged for a licensed waste carrier to collect your waste. If not you could be prosecuted or given a fixed penalty notice.

You must complete a waste transfer note, which will be provided by your carrier, when your waste is transferred for collection and keep this for at least two years.

The law and you

You must take all reasonable steps to take care of and dispose of waste.

Every establishment that produces waste has a responsibility to manage it properly. It is a criminal offence not to.

This includes:

  • fly tipping
  • using a waste carrier that isn't licensed 
  • failing to contain your waste to prevent it escaping