Hazardous and clinical waste

Last Updated: 4 October 2023

Hazardous waste and clinical waste cannot be disposed of in your general waste bin. There are alternative ways to arrange for these to be collected.

Hazardous waste

We don’t take hazardous waste in your normal bin collection.

Westmorland and Furness Council’s Household Waste Recycling Centres accept some hazardous household waste.

Find out what hazardous waste they will take, opening hours, contact details and locations:

Hazardous trade waste

We don’t collect trade waste and Westmorland and Furness Council’s Household Waste Recycling Centres will not accept trade waste.

You should keep hazardous trade waste secure and arrange for it to be collected by a licensed waste carrier.

Clinical waste

Clinical waste includes:

  • human or animal tissue
  • blood
  • syringes
  • swabs
  • bandages
  • other waste medical equipment

We provide a service to collect clinical waste. Please talk to your doctor if you need this service, they can arrange collections with us.

Apply for or update waste collection

Report  clinical waste collection issue

Offensive waste including used nappies, incontinence pads and stomach feeding equipment can go in your grey wheeled bin.