Private water supply issues

Last Updated: 4 September 2020

If your water supply runs dry we can request that United Utilities delivers up to 30 litres of bottled water per person free of charge to help until you can make alternative arrangements.

If you need to obtain a supply of water intended for human consumption you should ask suppliers to confirm they comply with BS 8551:2015 (Provision & Management of Temporary Water Supplies and Distribution Networks Code of Practice). The Private Water Supplies Team may be able to help with a list of contacts.

Some local agricultural contractors may be able to help with emergency supplies but may not comply with BS 8551. You should not use this water for human consumption but it may be used for some domestic purposes (eg flushing toilets).

For help and advice please contact the Private Water Supplies team by emailing Alternatively, you can contact the Public Protection team using the contact details listed below.