Business support: Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Find out about business support grants, general support available to businesses and advice available to businesses dealing with Coronavirus (COVID-19).
From Wednesday 5 August hospitality businesses will be able to make an application for a pavement licence online. This means they can put tables and chairs out on the pavement in front of their businesses and serve food and drink outside.
Business support grants
You can now apply for Coronavirus (COVID-19) business support grants online.
Business rate relief
The Government has confirmed a package of financial measures to support businesses:
- 100% retail relief has been extended to all retail, hospitality and leisure properties (such as museums, theatres, gyms and hotels) for the whole of 2020/21
- financial, medical and professional services will not qualify for this relief (e.g. banks, building societies, cash points, bureaux de change, payday lenders, vets, dentists, doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors, solicitors, accountants, insurance agents and financial advisers)
- additional relief for nurseries, 100% relief will be paid to all premises occupied by providers on Ofsted’s Early Years Register and wholly or mainly used for the provision of the Early Years Foundation Stage and which are subject to business rates in the year 2020/21
We have applied these reliefs automatically to business rates bills for 2020/21 as businesses do not need to apply. If you think that you're entitled to one of these reliefs and have not received a revised business rates bill by 17 April 2020 please email email@example.com
We did not collect direct debit payments that were due on 1 April 2020, so that we did not collect payments from any business due 100% rate relief for 2020/21. Now relief has been awarded we will reprofile the direct debit payments for businesses that don’t qualify for the reliefs. These bills will be issued over the week, staring 13 April 2020.
How your business can help
The Government is seeking support from businesses in the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Available business support
The Government has provided an overview of business and employment support measures in the response to Coronavirus. These include:
- Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme
- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
- Self-employment Income Support Scheme
Business Rates Holiday
- Statutory Sick Pay Rebate
Business support from our local partners
Our partner organisations that provide support to businesses in our district.
- Cumbria Chamber of Commerce
- Cumbria Tourism Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance and support
- Federation of Small Businesses Coronavirus (COVID-19): Advice and guidance for small businesses and self employed
Business support from national organisations
- ACAS Coronavirus advice for employers and employees
- Government State Aid advice
- HMRC time to pay tax helpline to support businesses affected by coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus COVID-19 government advice for accommodation providers
You can complete the Cumbria Chamber of Commerce Business Survey to help us fully capture the impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation.
If you are out of work or a business seeking additional staff, please register your interest with the Cumbria Chamber of Commerce, who are connecting people with businesses. Cumbria Chamber of Commerce Talent Database