Coronavirus (COVID-19) support and advice
Find out about the help, advice and support available:
- how we are continuing to deliver our services
- help, support and advice is available to businesses coping with effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- help and support for local community in dealing with Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- the latest health advice and information
Page last updated Friday 27 April at 11.22
Delivering our services
The front counter reception at our offices at South Lakeland House in Kendal and Kendal Town Hall will be closed to face-to-face enquiries.
We will keep essential services going, but they might be delivered in different ways in response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
Our detailed planning measures should ensure that key services like waste collections, environmental protection and benefits payments will be able to continue.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) business support
Find out about business support grants, general support available to businesses and advice available to businesses dealing with Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Business support grants
You can now apply for Coronavirus (COVID-19) business support grants online.
Business rate relief
We will apply this relief automatically to business rates bills for 2020/21 and businesses do not need to apply for this.
New bills with applied relief will be reissued in the coming weeks. SLDC has also taken the decision not to collect business rates direct debits in April to allow the new reliefs to be applied before any payments are due.
These reliefs apply to eligible retail, leisure and hospitality businesses (including those that have closed temporarily due to the Government advice on Coronavirus) and 100% rate relief is available for a period of 12 months.
Available business support
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Government support for business
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) business support from HM Government Business Support
- Childcare provision for key workers. Guidance for schools, childcare providers, colleges and local authorities in England on maintaining educational provision
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Government Guidance for employers and business
- UK Government business support helpline
- UK Government guidance for businesses and other venues on social distancing
- access to lending and overdrafts British Business Bank Coronavirus business interruption loan scheme
- free business support for South Lakeland businesses and business toolkit. Cumbria Chamber of Commerce Coronavirus what businesses need to know
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Cumbria Tourism support and advice
- Federation of Small Business COVID-19 advice and guidance for small businesses and the self-employed
- ACAS Coronavirus advice for employers and employees
- Government State Aid advice
- HMRC time to pay tax helpline to support businesses affected by coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus: if your company cannot file accounts with Companies House on time
- permission relaxed for pubs and restaurants to operate as takeaways
- 10 steps to take now, webinars, and managing cashflow guidance Business Growth Hub Coronavirus (COVID-19) support for businesses
- SME's may be able to access finance through private lenders, please check directly with your business banks
You can complete a surveys to help us fully capture the impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation:
If you are out of work or a business seeking additional staff, please register your interest with the Cumbria Chamber of Commerce, who are connecting people with businesses. Cumbria Chamber of Commerce Talent Database
Coronavirus (COVID-19) community support
Cumbria County Council (CCC) are leading the community response to Coronavirus (COVID-19). Coronavirus (COVID-19) Cumbria County Council situation, information and advice.
If you represent a new or existing groups that want to get involved in the response to COVID 19 should email: SouthLakeland.AreaSupport@cumbria.gov.uk
Help in the community. Register as a volunteer
Vulnerable people and elderly people in your community who are social distancing or self isolating may need the support of volunteers.
Support Cumbria are looking for volunteers of all levels to support local charities and organisations in local communities.
You might have specific skills to offer or may want to help with tasks like shopping, dog walking, collecting prescriptions or other help.
You can register as a volunteer or a volunteer group through SupportCumbria.org.uk.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) health advice and information
- The latest government information and guidance on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- NHS information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Q&A from Public Health England on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Public Health England’s guidance about coronavirus (COVID-19) for health professionals and other organisations
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Residential care, supported living and home care guidance
- Guidance for schools and other educational settings in providing advice about the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Latest travel advice from Central Government
- Stay safe online in the virtual world during restrictions on travel, socialising, ofﬁce life. getsafeonline.org
- Cumbria Police advice on how the elderly and vulnerable can protect themselves from door to door fraudsters