Information requests

Last Updated: 31 May 2023

You can ask to see any information about the records that we hold under Freedom of Information (FOI). Under Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) you also have a right to see information we hold about things that might effect the environment.

You can also find out information about a property by completing a personal property search.

You can make a request to see personal information, that we have about you, under the Data Protection Act.

You can complain about how a request for information was handled.

Freedom of Information (FOI)

The Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2000 came fully into force on 1 January 2005. Any person or body resident in or outside the UK, has the right of access to all types of recorded information held by public authorities, subject only to the limitations imposed by the Act and other legislation.  

The legislation is designed to promote greater openness and transparency throughout the public sector and applies to all public authorities, including South Lakeland District Council. Before making a request, check if what you are looking for is already available:

Freedom of information datasets explains the requirements when data is provided in the form of a dataset.

How to make an FOI request

Environmental Information Regulations (EIR)

The Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) 2004 give you the right to see information that relates to the environment and anything which may have a negative effect upon it.  

The definition of 'environmental information' is wide and includes information relating to the state of elements of the environment, such as land, water, biological organisms etc, as well as measures and activities which may affect these, including economic analysis of such measures and activities. Typical examples of requests might include:

  • details of landfill sites within a specified distance from a site, or details of specific sites or former sites
  • details regarding incidents of pollution within a specified distance from a site  
  • abatement notices in relation to statutory nuisances within a distance from a site
  • private water extractions within the vicinity of the site
  • details of levels of radon in the area  
  • monitoring information

Before making a request, check if what you are looking for is already available:

How to make an EIR request

Complain about how a request was handled

To complain about how your FOI or EIR request was handled, request an Internal Review.

Personal property searches

Our CON29 data provides information that is useful in completing personal property searches.

Find out how to access CON29 data

Difference between FOI/EIR and Data Protection Act 2018

If the information is personal and about the individual making the request then the Data Protection Act 2018 will apply and the request should be treated as a Subject Access Request. Make a request for personal information.