Local Elections and the Police and Crime Commissioner Election 2021
The next scheduled elections in the South Lakeland area will be held on Thursday 6 May 2021. These elections are for:
- the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for the Cumbria police area
- councillors for parish and town councils in some areas
- by-elections for district and county council seats that have been postponed because of COVID-19
South Lakeland District Council and Cumbria County Council elections rescheduled to 2022
Elections (also postponed from 2020 because of COVID) were scheduled on 6 May 2021 for:
- Councillors for Cumbria County Council (the Council has eighty four electoral divisions, eighteen of which are in the South Lakeland area)
- Councilllors for seventeen of South Lakeland District Council's eighteen wards (there was no election scheduled for the district of Ambleside & Grasmere)
These elections have been rescheduled to May 2022 because consultation has started on proposals for unitary government in Cumbria.
Rescheduling the district and county council elections avoids the possibility of the electorate being asked to vote for councils while at the same time they are being given the opportunity to express their views on the possible abolition of these councils. It also avoids members potentially being elected to serve short terms.
The county council elections were originally scheduled for 2021 and councillors have had their term of office extended for a year.
The district council elections were originally scheduled for 2020 and those councillors who were up for election have had their term of office extended for two years; one year (2020) because of COVID and another (2021) because of consultation on local government reorganisation. Councillors who were not up for election in 2020 have had their term of office extended for one year.
Only the scheduled elections have been postponed. There are currently a number of casual vacancies on both councils where an election has been called but we have been unable to run by-elections to fill them because of COVID restrictions. These by-elections are due to take place on 6 May 2021.
Deadlines to register to vote and apply for an absent vote
To register to vote in time for the elections, the deadline is 11.59pm on Monday 19 April 2021.
To vote by post (or to change or cancel a postal vote), the deadline is 5pm on Tuesday 20 April 2021.
To vote by proxy, the deadline is 5pm on Tuesday 27 April 2021.