Local Elections and the Police and Crime Commissioner Election 2020
The next scheduled elections in the South Lakeland area will be held on Thursday 7 May 2020. These elections are for:
- the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for the Cumbria police area
- councillors for seventeen of South Lakeland District Council's eighteen wards (there is no election for the district ward of Ambleside & Grasmere this year)
- councillors for parish and town councils in some areas
Notices (e.g. as to whether an election is contested or not, or the names of the people standing as a candidate) will be published closer to the election date.
Deadlines to register to vote and apply for an absent vote
The deadline to apply to register to vote in time for the election is 11.59pm on Tuesday 21 April.
The deadline to change, cancel or apply for a postal vote is 5pm on Wednesday 22 April.
The deadline to apply for a proxy vote is 5pm on Wednesday 29 April.
South lakeland District Council elections
- When the map opens you will see the district boundaries marked, in purple and labelled with the district ward name.
- In the 'Current Address' field, at the top of the map, enter the address details of your property.
- The map will zoom in on the property and mark it with a 'target' icon.
- Zoom out on the map using your mouse (or the scrolling tool in the top left hand corner of the map) to see where the property is in relation to the parish boundary.
There will be elections for one seat in each of the following district wards:
- Arnside & Milnthorpe
- Bowness & Levens
- Broughton & Coniston
- Burton & Crooklands
- Furness Peninsula
- Kendal East
- Kendal North
- Kendal Rural
- Kendal South & Natland
- Kendal Town
- Kendal West
- Sedbergh & Kirkby Lonsdale
- Ulverston East
- Ulverston West
Ambleside & Grasmere
District councillors serve a four year term. Most district wards are represented by three councillors and have three elections within their four year cycle. The fourth year is a fallow year (a year where there is no election) for the district council. However there are three district wards (Ambleside & Grasmere, Cartmel and Kendal North) that are represented by two councillors. These wards have an extra fallow year, with two elections instead of three during their four year cycle.
2020 is a fallow year for Ambleside & Grasmere, so there is no scheduled district council election in this area.
There are scheduled district elections for Cartmel and Kendal North this year.
The PCC election
The PCC election is for the Cumbria police area, which includes all of the district of South Lakeland.
Parish and town council elections
- When the map opens you will see the parish boundaries marked, in red and labelled with the parish name
- In the 'Current Address' field, at the top of the map, enter the address details of your property
- The map will zoom in on the property and mark it with a 'target' icon
- Zoom out on the map using your mouse (or the scrolling tool in the top left hand corner of the map) to see where the property is in relation to the parish boundary
There are scheduled elections for all seats on the the following councils:
- Blawith & Subberthwaite Parish Council
- Broughton East Parish Council
- Burton-in-Kendal Parish Council
- Cartmel Fell
- Claife Parish Fell
- Colton Parish Council
- Coniston Parish Council
- Crook Parish Council
- Crosthwaite & Lyth Parish Council
- Haverthwaite Parish Council
- Hawkshead Parish Council
- Helsington Parish Council
- Heversham Parish Council
- Holme Parsh Council
- Levens Parish Council
- Lindale & Newton-in-Cartmel Parish Council
- Lowick Parish Council
- Milnthorpe Parish Council
- Preston Richard Parish Council
- Satterthwaite Parish Council
- Sedgwick Parish Council
- Skelwith Parish Council
- Stainton Parish Council
- Staveley-in-Cartmel Parish Council
- Staveley-with-Ings Parish Council
- Torver Parish Council
- Ulverston Town Council
- Witherslack, Methop & Ulpha Parish Council
Standing as a candidate
If you're interested in standing as a candidate in the district or PCC elections, please contact us.
If you're interested in standing as a candidate in a parish election, please contact the relevant parish clerk.