The Local Plan
Our Local plan sets out how we will meet three objectives in our Council Plan:
- to provide homes to meet needs
- to create opportunities for economic growth
- to enhance our environment
The plan sets out our vision and a framework for the future development of our district outside the National Parks. It looks at needs and opportunities in relation to housing, the economy, community facilities and infrastructure. It is also used for safeguarding the environment, adapting to climate change and securing good design.
Our Local Plan includes:
Core Strategy: Setting out the strategic planning policies for our district.
Land Allocations: Allocating land in our district for homes and jobs.
Development Management Policies Development Plan Document (DPD): Policies to guide development management decisions, such as looking for and meeting needs for Gypsy and Traveller sites.
Arnside and Silverdale AONB Development Plan Document (DPD): Allocated sites for development and policies to guide development management decisions across the whole AONB.
Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL): A charge on some new developments to pay towards infrastructure improvements.
'Saved' Local Plan Policies: Policies 'saved' from the adopted 1997 Local Plan (saved Local Plan 2006) that will remain in force until replaced by the Development Management policies and the Arnside and Silverdale AONB DPD.
Neighbourhood Plans: Helping communities develop their own plans which can establish general planning policies for the development and use of land, such as the location and appearance of new buildings.
Supplementary Planning Documents (SPD): Documents providing extra detail and information to guide particular types or aspects of development, or particular sites. Our current SPDs include:
- Development Briefs provide planning guidance on how specific larger, complex or sensitive sites should be developed.
- Cumbria Wind Energy Supplementary Planning Document prepared by Cumbria County Council and other Cumbrian authorities, this document provides guidance as to where wind farms might be built. We adopted it as an SPD in December 2007.
Local Plan Evidence: A wide range of studies and data providing background information to the Local Plan, including evidence relating to five year land supply.
Local Development Scheme: Setting out a timetable for preparing documents to be included in the Local Plan.
Annual Monitoring Report: Reviews progress made in the preparation of Local Plan documents and assesses the effectiveness of policies.
- Annual Monitoring Report 2017 to 2018 (PDF 950KB / 79 pages)
- Annual Monitoring Report 2016 to 2017 (PDF 2.6MB / 73 pages)
- Annual Monitoring Report 2015 to 2016 (PDF 2.9MB / 70 pages)
Statement of Community Involvement (SCI): Setting out how and when we will engage with the community and other key stakeholders when we prepare and revise Local Plan documents.
Cumbria Minerals and Waste Local Plan: Prepared by Cumbria County Council, this document sets out policies and allocates sites to guide minerals and waste management development across Cumbria.