Neighbourhoods can have a say on new development in their area by working together to prepare:
- neighbourhood plans
- neighbourhood development orders
If your community is thinking about preparing a neighbourhood plan contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact us as early as possible so we can help you decide on the way forward.
You may also find it useful to read the Neighbourhood Planning protocol (PDF/242KB/7 pages).
You can see the location of all the designated neighbourhood areas on our interactive map.
Burneside Neighbourhood Plan Land Allocations Consultation
Burneside Neighbourhood Plan steering group is running a consultation on suggested sites for development from Saturday 13 May until Tuesday 13 June 2017. Comments should be sent to email@example.com or to 1, Churchill Court, Burneside LA9 6QW - envelopes should be marked 'Neighbourhood Plan' and all responses must include your name and contact details.
As part of the consultation, a drop-in event is being held on Saturday 13 May at the Bryce Institute, Burneside from 1-4pm.
More information can be found on the Burneside Neighbourhood Plan webpage.
Grange Neighbourhood Plan Consultation
Grange Neighbourhood Plan steering group is running a consultation on their draft plan. All details can be found on the Grange Neighbourhood Plan webpage.
Neighbourhood plans in South Lakeland
Heversham and Hincaster
Following successful referendum on 16 February 2017, the decision has been taken to 'make' the Plan and adopt it as part of the Development Plan for South Lakeland. It will now be used to guide land use and development proposals within Heversham and Hincaster Parishes until 2025.
The Final 'made' Plan and Regulation 19 Decision Statement can be viewed during normal opening hours at South Lakeland House, Kendal, LA9 4DL and at Milnthorpe library.
All the relevant documents can be found below:
- Heversham & Hincaster Neighbourhood Plan - Final 'made' Plan (PDF/31.2MB/20 pages)
- Regulation 19 Decision Statement (PDF/121KB/1 page)
- Examiner’s report (PDF/540KB/22 pages)
- Regulation 18 Statement (PDF/117KB/1 page)
- Basic Conditions Statement (PDF/133KB/9 pages)
- Referendum Information Statement (PDF/241KB/1 page)
- Statement of General Information (PDF/106KB/2 pages)
- Consultation Statement (PDF/111KB/4 pages) and associated annexes:
- Annex 1 - Initial Survey (PDF/136KB/20 pages)
- Annex 2 - first Progress Report Nov 2012 (PDF/407KB/2 pages)
- Annex 3 - Towards a NP for Heversham and Hincaster (PDF/731KB/12 pages)
- Annex 4 - Heversham and Hincaster Housing Survey (PDF/679KB/28 pages)
- Annex 5 - Neighbourhood Plan Pre-submission Draft (PDF/1.21MB/24 pages)
- Annex 6 - Pre-submission Plan Response Form (PDF/61.8KB/2 pages)
- Annex 7 - List of Consultees (PDF/156KB/2 pages)
- Annex 8 - Comments on responses to pre-submission Plan (PDF/436KB/10 pages)
- Annex 9 - HRA-AA-SA-SEA Screening (PDF/89.6KB/14 pages)
- Annex 10 - More statistics about the Parishes (PDF/243KB/2 pages)
- Annex 11 - Dwelling completions and Planning Applications for Dwellings (PDF/219KB/2 pages)
- Heversham and Hincaster Neighbourhood Plan consultation responses
- Heversham and Hincaster Neighbourhood Plan to 2025 - Submission Version (PDF/2.41MB/20 pages)
Following comments received from Natural England, Historic England and the Environment Agency we have determined that a full Strategic Environmental Assessment is not required.
A steering group is working on preparing a Neighbourhood Plan for the parishes of Strickland Roger and Strickland Ketel excluding the areas allocated for development in South Lakeland District Council's Local Plan known as Land West of High Sparrowmire and part of Land North of Laurel Gardens.
- Neighbourhood Area Application (PDF/10MB/7pages)
- Burneside Neighbourhood Area consultation responses
- Formal designation of Burneside Neighbourhood Area (PDF/1.12MB/2 pages) .
The Lake District National Park Authority has also approved the application; details of their formal designation are available on the National Park Authority’s Neighbourhood Plans webpage.
Burneside Neighbourhood Plan steering group are beginning a consultation shortly on potential sites for development (see news stories above).
Other documents related to the preparation of Burneside Neighbourhood Plan so far can be found below.
- Burneside Neighbourhood Plan Objectives Report (PDF/177KB/7 pages)
- Screening Report (PDF/377KB/19 pages)
- Response to screening report from the Environment Agency (PDF/243KB/2 pages)
- Response to screening report from Natural England (PDF/530KB/2 pages)
- Response to screening report from Historic England (PDF/195KB/1 page)
A steering group is working on preparing a neighbourhood plan for Grange-over-Sands Parish.
- Grange-over-Sands Neighbourhood Area application (PDF/1MB/3 pages)
- Grange-over-Sands Neighbourhood Area consultation responses
- Formal designation of Grange over Sands Neighbourhood Area (PDF/489KB/3 pages)
Grange Neighbourhood Plan steering group are beginning a consultation shortly on their draft plan (see news stories above).
A steering group is working on preparing a neighbourhood plan for Lower Allithwaite Parish.
- Lower Allithwaite Neighbourhood Area application (PDF/2MB/2 pages)
- Lower Allithwaite Neighbourhood Area consultation responses
- Formal designation of Lower Allithwaite Neighbourhood Area (PDF/102KB/2 pages)
Neighbourhood planning guidance
The Campaign to Protect Rural England and the National Association of Local Councils have produced a guide called How to shape where you live: a guide to neighbourhood planning.
There is also additional information at Planning Help.
Government guidance includes a guide to neighbourhood planning and the Neighbourhood Planning section of the National Planning Policy Guidance.
Cumbria Association of Local Councils and Action with Communities in Cumbria have produced a Local Guide to Neighbourhood Planning.
Further information can be found below:
- Planning Portal further information
- 'Our Neighbourhood Planning'
- My Community Neighbourhood Planning
- Neighbourhood Planning Independent Examiner Referral Services (NPIERS)
You can also find out more about community led planning.
You may also be interested in reading our parish charter.