2021: Issues and Options and second Call for Sites
Last Updated: 20 July 2021
We are now at the ‘Issues and Options’ stage of our Local Plan Review. This is an early stage of the process where we present some of the key issues in planning for South Lakeland to 2040. We set out a number of options and approaches on how the new Local Plan might address the issues and ask your views on them.
The Local Plan Review relates to South Lakeland District outside the two National Parks and will update and replace a number of our existing Local Plan documents. This includes the Core Strategy, Land Allocations and Development Management Policies documents. It will not replace the Arnside and Silverdale AONB Local Plan document which contains policies and allocations which apply only in the AONB to protect its special character. These policies are recently adopted and are not being reviewed. However many other Local Plan policies (in the Core Strategy and Development Management DPDs) apply to the whole Local Plan area including the AONB and are being reviewed.
Issues and Options Public Consultation 30 June to 30 September 2021
We have prepared a virtual consultation room where you can view exhibition boards and a welcome video, and find links to our documents, virtual ‘drop in’ sessions and online survey.
Access the South Lakeland Local Plan virtual consultation room. Please note, this link does not work on Internet Explorer, you will need to use another browser eg Firefox or Chrome.
You can also access the consultation documents and get involved by reading the information below.
The main document we are consulting on is the ‘Issues and Options’ report. This sets out the main issues we are planning for and presents a number of policy options and approaches for addressing them, which we are seeking your views on.
We have prepared a summary leaflet to provide an overview of the current consultation and the issues we are seeking views on: Issues and Options consultation summary leaflet (PDF 354KB / 4 pages)
We have also prepared a range of supporting documents as part of the consultation:
- Policy Review Paper (955KB / 83 pages): a report setting out which policies in our existing Local Plan we are reviewing through the Local Plan Review process
- Consultation Statement (PDF 1MB / 97 pages): a report summarising the feedback we received in our early engagement in 2020 and how we have taken it into account in preparing the Issues and Options report
- Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report (PDF 11MB / 240 pages): sets out how we will assess the Local Plan to help ensure it delivers sustainable development. It provides a detailed assessment of the social, economic and environmental characteristics of our district. The report is also available as a non technical summary (PDF 365KB / 7 pages)
- Housing Topic Paper (PDF 2MB / 85 pages): a report providing more information on the housing issues in the Issues and Options report and useful facts and figures
- Settlement Services and Accessibility Assessment (PDF 7MB / 157 pages): an assessment of the services and facilities within our key and local service centres, and their accessibility by public transport/walking. This will inform the review of our settlement hierarchy
- Call for Sites 2020: Submitted Sites: a report presenting the sites that were submitted through our Call for Sites in summer 2020
How to get involved
Once you’ve had a chance to look at our consultation documents please visit our online survey to give us your views.
You can view responses that have already been submitted: Issues and Options consultation responses
If you have any questions about the exhibition and the Issues and Options consultation please join a ‘virtual chat’ with our Officers at the following times throughout the consultation period:
- Tuesdays 11am to 12pm
- Thursdays 5pm to 6pm
You can join the ‘drop in’ sessions on Microsoft Teams using the link below, and feel free to drop in or out at any point within the time slots.
If you have any problems accessing the Teams 'drop in' sessions please call, contact details listed below.
We’re closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation, and if it’s safe to do so we will look to arrange some ‘in person’ drop in events in September 2021 so you can talk to us in person. We’ll publicise these through our website, social media and posters and flyers.
Call for Sites 2021
We are also running a ‘Call for Sites’ exercise alongside the Issues and Options consultation. This invites suggestions for sites to be considered for allocation for housing or employment development.
You can find out more information and submit a site: Call for Sites 2021.
Sites submitted in this Call for Sites will be assessed in our forthcoming Strategic Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (SHELAA). A draft of the SHELAA study should be available for comment in late 2021. You can find out more about the SHELAA by reading the methodology report which explains what the study is and how we will produce it.