Local Plan Review
We are starting work on a review of our Local Plan to ensure that all our planning policies are up to date and continue to meet the development needs of our area.
We are currently at the early stages of evidence gathering and scoping of key issues, and are engaging with local communities and stakeholders. As we prepare evidence base studies and reports they will be added to the evidence section. Please see details of our early engagement period in the section below.
We are currently revising the timetable for the Local Plan Review and will be publishing an updated Local Development Scheme (LDS) to update the October 2018 LDS.
If you would like to be notified of forthcoming consultations on the Local Plan Review please sign up to our consultation mailing list so you can get involved.
Early engagement mid February to 18 September 2020
We are undertaking some early engagement activities to scope out the review and update of our Local Plan. The purpose of this engagement is to:
- inform people about the review process and encourage them to get involved
- start discussions around which parts of our Local Plan need reviewing or updating
- generate conversations and share views on the planning issues facing us as we plan for future development in the district up to 2040
We have prepared a range of documents to help generate discussions and invite people's views, and these can be accessed by clicking on the links below. You can also view paper copies at South Lakeland House (Kendal), Coronation Hall (Ulverston) and libraries in Kendal, Ulverston, Kirkby Lonsdale, Milnthorpe, Grange-over-Sands and Arnside and also at our drop in events that are listed below.
Early engagement documents
- Summary Leaflet (PDF 227KB / 4 pages): provides a brief introduction to the Local Plan Review, explains how you can get involved, and summarises some of the issues that we think we need to consider. It includes six questions that we would like to hear people's views on through our survey.
- Discussion Paper (PDF 1.3MB / 37 pages): provides more detail on the Local Plan Review and the issues, and sets out the areas of the plan that we are proposing to review. It poses 30 questions that we are seeking your views on.
- Draft Policy Review Document (PDF 1.3MB / 52 pages): reviews our existing Local Plan policies and sets out our initial views as to which we think will require updating as we progress our Local Plan Review.
- Draft Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report (PDF 20MB / 209 pages): provides a detailed assessment of the social, economic and environmental characteristics in our district, and sets out how we will assess our Local Plan to help ensure it delivers sustainable development. This document is a legal requirement and will be updated as we progress the Local Plan Review. The report is also available as a Non-Technical Summary (PDF 459KB / 8 pages).
We have also prepared a range of 'topic sheets' based on different subject areas to provide some useful background information and to help generate discussions. The topic sheets provide key facts and figures, and explain the current Local Plan's position on these topics, and the issues that we think we need to consider as we review and update the Local Plan.
- Topic Sheet: Housing (PDF 172KB / 3 pages)
- Topic Sheet: Economy and Employment (PDF 180KB / 3 pages)
- Topic Sheet: Health and Wellbeing (PDF 172KB / 3 pages)
- Topic Sheet: The Environment (PDF 173KB / 2 pages)
- Topic Sheet: Climate Change and Flooding (PDF 172KB / 2 pages)
- Topic Sheet: Transport and Infrastructure (PDF 173KB / 3 pages)
- Topic Sheet: Historic Environment (PDF 172KB / 2 pages)
- Topic Sheet: Design in New Development (PDF 165KB / 2 pages)
We have launched an online survey for you to give us your views, please visit our CitizenSpace page using the links below. There are two versions of the survey: a short overview survey based on our summary leaflet and a longer survey based on the questions in our more detailed Discussion Paper.
We are also holding a series of drop-in events where you can come along and speak to the council officers who are reviewing the Local Plan. Please come along and join in the conversation:
- Thursday 27 February, Kirkby Lonsdale, Lunesdale Hall from 3pm to 7:30pm
- Tuesday 3 March, Grange-over-Sands, Victoria Hall from 3pm to 7:30pm
- Monday 9 March - Ulverston, Coronation Hall - 3pm to 7:30pm
- Tuesday 17 March - Kendal, The MintWorks - 3pm to 7:30pm (POSTPONED)
- Thursday 19 March - Milnthorpe, M:Hub - 3pm to 7:30pm (POSTPONED)
We can provide paper copies of our summary leaflets, consultation response forms, poster and flyers for any local community groups and organisations who would like to get actively involved in this early engagement. For example you might want to talk about the Local Plan Review at your regular meetings or include it in your newsletters. Please get in touch and we'll do what we can to help.
Sharing your thoughts with us now will inform the next stage of the process called 'Issues and options' in the Autumn. They will be used to help decide what's included in the next Local Plan, what the key issues are and the possible ways of dealing with them.
Stakeholder Launch Event
On 6 March 2020 we held an event to launch the review of the Local Plan with a wide range of stakeholders. The purpose of the event was to inform stakeholders about the Local Plan review process, to explore the key issues facing South Lakeland, and to share early thoughts on which areas of our Local Plan need reviewing. It was also an important opportunity for us to learn how stakeholders would like to be engaged in the process going forwards so that we can build successful working relationships.