Development briefs and masterplans
Last Updated: 14 May 2021
Development briefs provide planning guidance on how specific larger, complex or sensitive sites should be developed. We have prepared a number of development briefs for sites allocated in the Local Plan and have adopted these as Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs).
They show which policies apply to each site and contain detailed guidance on things like access, design, infrastructure requirements, landscaping and open space.
Development briefs are prepared following consultation with the public, developers and delivery partners and are a used when assessing planning applications.
They do not consider merits of the sites as allocations, as the principle of development on the sites has already been approved through the Local Plan.
Adopted development briefs
Phase 3B development brief
On 25 April 2018 we adopted a Development Brief for the site East of Milnthorpe Road, Holme:
- Development Brief: East of Milnthorpe Road, Holme (PDF 2.2MB / 26 pages)
- Supporting Contextual Information Document: East of Milnthorpe Road, Holme (PDF 2.2MB / 46 pages)
Phase 3A development briefs
On 30 August 2017 we adopted two Phase 3A Development Briefs along with supporting contextual information documents for the following sites:
- Development Brief: Green Dragon Farm, Burton-in-Kendal (PDF 2.9MB / 28 pages)
- Supporting Contextual Information Document: Green Dragon Farm, Burton-in-Kendal (PDF 2MB / 51 pages)
- Development Brief: North of Sycamore Close, Endmoor (PDF 2.10MB / 26 pages)
- Supporting Contextual Information Document: North of Sycamore Close, Endmoor (PDF/1.59MB/39 pages)
Phase 2 development briefs
On 23 November 2016 we adopted the three Phase 2 Development Briefs for the following sites:
- land north of Laurel Gardens, Kendal (PDF 4.22MB / 54 pages)
- land west of High Sparrowmire, Kendal (PDF 2.8MB / 53 pages)
- land South of Allithwaite Road, Kents Bank, Grange over Sands (PDF 4MB / 84 pages)
Phase 1 development briefs
Development Briefs have been adopted for the following sites:
- land off Cross-a-Moor, Swarthmoor (adopted 26 November 2014) (PDF1.2MB /52 pages)
- Scroggs Wood, Kendal (adopted 11 February 2015) (PDF 2MB / 55 pages)
- Kendal Parks, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF 2MB / 76 pages)
- South of Underbarrow Road, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF 2MB / 63 pages)
- Stainbank Green, Kendal (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF 2.73MB 61/ pages)
- north of Kendal Road, Kirkby Lonsdale (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF 2.4MB / 64 pages)
- south and east of Milnthorpe (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF 1.7MB / 56 pages)
- Croftlands, Ulverston (adopted 29 April 2015) (PDF 6.12MB / 137 pages)
In 2005 we prepared plans to provide a strategy for the on going regeneration of Ulverston:
- The Ulverston Canal Masterplan (PDF 25MB / 149 pages)
- Ulverston Town Centre Masterplan (PDF 7.65MB / 9 pages)
The reports were commissioned by the Ulverston and Low Furness Partnership with funding from the North West Development Agency and Cumbria County Council. The members of the Partnership included; Ulverston Town Council, South Lakeland District Council, Cumbria County Council, Ulverston Traders, Furness Enterprise, Lake District Peninsulas Tourism Partnership, NWDA and others.
The reports remain available for information and guidance in considering future proposals.