Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) Development Plan
The Arnside and Silverdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) covers part of South Lakeland and part of Lancaster District.
Together with Lancaster City Council, we are preparing a dedicated Development Plan Document (DPD) for the whole of the AONB. The DPD will form part of both Councils' Local Plans. It will identify sites for new housing and employment to contribute towards meeting local needs and will set out planning policies to ensure that development reflects the AONB designation.
The timetable for preparing this document is set out in our Local Development Scheme.
Once adopted, the DPD will complement the Arnside and Silverdale AONB Management Plan 2014 to 2019.
On Wednesday 28 February 2018, jointly with Lancaster City Council, we submitted the Arnside & Silverdale AONB DPD to the Secretary of State (Planning Inspectorate) for Examination.
The key submission documents are:
- Submission AONB DPD (PDF/1.20MB/89pages)
- Policies Map (PDF/11.9MB/1page) and Inset Map Book (PDF/8.24MB/6pages)
- Sustainability Appraisal Report (PDF/7.7MB/208pages)
- Sustainability Appraisal Report: Non Technical Summary (PDF/429KB/13pages)
- Representations Statement (PDF/596KB/48pages)
- Appendix to Representations Statement (PDF/10.2MB/1332pages)
- Consultation Statement (PDF/1.57MB/55pages)
- Consultation Statement - Appendix 4: Summary of responses to Issues and Options and Extra Sites Consultations (PDF/1.84MB/160pages)
- Consultation Statement - Appendix 5, Part 1: Summary of Draft Plan Consultations responses (PDF/964KB/53pages)
- Consultation Statement - Appendix 5, Part 2: Summary of Pre-publication Consultation responses (PDF/1.9MB/61pages)
- Statement of Community Involvement (SLDC) (PDF/404KB/27pages)
- Statement of Community Involvement (Lancaster City Council) (PDF/707KB/30pages)
- Statement of Submission (PDF/84KB/2pages)
Links to all submission documents, as well as other supporting documents are available via the AONB DPD Submission / Examination Library (PDF/642KB/36pages).
Please note that some of the documents may not be accessible for those using assistive technology. If you require an accessible version of any document, please contact us.
Hard copies of the Submission AONB DPD, Policies Map and Inset Map Book, Sustainability Appraisal Report, Representations Statement, Consultation Statement and Statement of Submission are available for Inspection during normal opening hours at:
- South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 4UF
- Morecambe Town Hall, Marine Road East, Morecambe, LA4 5AF
- Arnside & Silverdale AONB Offices, The Old Station Building, Arnside, LA5 0HG
- Libraries in Arnside, Carnforth, Kendal, Milnthorpe and Silverdale
Hard copies of other documents are available on request.
The Planning Inspectorate has appointed Philip Lewis BA (Hons) MA MRTPI to conduct the Examination into whether the AONB DPD is sound. A joint examination will be held with the Development Management Policies DPD, which was also submitted by South Lakeland District Council on 28 February 2018.
The Examination will include public hearings, further details of which will be published when available.
The Programme Officer for the joint examination is Miss Kerry Trueman. The role of the Programme Officer is to assist the Inspector with the conduct of the examination. The Programme Officer is independent of the council and works for the Inspector.
For all AONB DPD examination matters the Programme Officer should be contacted via e-mail at email@example.com. Telephone contact 01539 793560.
To view the documents associated with all previous consultation stages, as well as links to consultation responses, please see Arnside and Silverdale AONB DPD Consultation Stages.