Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) Development Plan
Together with Lancaster City Council, we are preparing a dedicated Development Plan Document (DPD) for the whole of the Arnside and Silverdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). The DPD will form part of both Council's Local Plans. It will identify sites for new housing and employment to meet local needs and will set out planning policies to ensure that development reflects the AONB designation.
Following the recent pre-publication consultation (see below), our next steps are as follows:
- We will use the comments received from the consultation to inform the preparation of a publication version of the plan.
- We will then publish the document, providing a final opportunity for people to make comments.
- The document will then be submitted to the Secretary of State and an independent Inspector will be appointed to conduct a public examination into the soundness of the plan. The Inspector will take into account the comments made at publication stage.
- After the Inspector's report is received, the Council will consider adopting the plan, subject to any recommended changes.
Following consultation on a draft DPD in Winter 2016/17 we invited comments on an AONB consultation information document (PDF/1.06MB/8 pages) which outlined suggestions received through the Draft Plan consultation relating to three sites.
We also prepared an AONB pre-publication site overview map (PDF/11MB/1page) which shows the location of each of the three sites within the AONB.
Draft Plan Consultation
We invited comments on the Draft DPD (PDF/4MB/105 pages) and AONB Mapbook (PDF/9.56MB/6 pages) between 10 November 2016 and 5 January 2017. Responses to this consultation can be viewed on our consultations page.
The Draft DPD, a summary draft DPD (PDF/5MB/6 pages) and other associated documents (including the Site Assessment Spreadsheet, Maps, Interim Consultation Statement, Draft Sustainability Appraisal Report, Draft Habitats Regulations Report and Viability Study) can be viewed electronically on our Draft Plan supporting documents page.
Issues and Options Consultation
We invited comments on the Issues and Options Discussion Paper between Friday 6 November 2015 and 5pm Friday 18 December 2015.
The relevant documents are:
Maps showing sites suggested for consideration for development or protection, as follows:
- front cover and Arnside Parish (PDF/14.6MB/35 pages)
- Beetham Parish (PDF/10.8MB/29 pages)
- Silverdale Parish (PDF 14.6MB/32 pages)
- Warton Parish (PDF/7MB/16 pages)
- Yealand Parish (PDF/1.9MB/6 pages)
- appendix showing full list of sites (PDF/165KB/5 pages)
Extra Sites Consultation
Between 29 March and 3 May 2016 we invited comments on additional site suggestions submitted to us in response to the Issues and Options consultation in December 2015 (see below).
Housing needs survey
As part of the plan preparation process, Cumbria Rural Housing Trust (CRHT) was commissioned in May 2014 to carry out a Housing Needs Survey in each of the parishes within the AONB. The aim of the surveys was to provide evidence of housing need at parish level to supplement district-wide housing information already held by us and Lancaster City Council. The evidence in the survey reports will be used to help us understand the particular housing needs in the AONB, and to contribute to an objective assessment of need for market and affordable housing in the AONB over the 15 year period of the Plan. The survey reports are designed to provide evidence to inform the development of the DPD by:
- establishing the need for affordable housing in each parish
- calculating the number, type and tenure of affordable dwellings needed
- capturing the desires of those in local need within the parish
The survey findings will also help to inform policy for future development in the AONB and will provide evidence of need for future planning applications. Evidence from individual parishes has been compiled into a summary report for the whole AONB. The published survey reports can be found below:
- whole AONB Housing Needs Survey Report (PDF/1.8MB/17 pages)
- Arnside Parish Housing Needs Survey Report (PDF/2.57MB/59 pages)
- Beetham Parish Housing Needs Survey Report (PDF/2.92MB/56 pages)
- Silverdale Parish Housing Needs Survey Report (PDF/3.03MB/57 pages)
- Warton Parish Housing Needs Survey Report (PDF/2.59MB/50 pages)
- Yealand Conyers Parish Housing Needs Survey Report (PDF/2.82MB/47 pages)
- Yealand Redmayne Parish Housing Needs Survey Report (PDF/3.73MB/48 pages)
Note: Property price information contained in the Housing Needs reports is obtained from the Land Registry, which records the actual selling prices of housing in the AONB.
Draft supporting documents
Note: The documents below are draft versions, subject to further minor, non-substantive changes.
- AONB DPD Consultation Statement, September 2017 (PDF/1.57MB/55 pages)
- AONB DPD HRA Screening Report, July 2017 (PDF/1.63MB/57 pages)
- AONB DPD Sustainability Appraisal Report, July 2017 (PDF/8MB/227 pages)
- Appendix 5, Part 1: Summary of Draft Plan Consultation responses (PDF/984KB/54 pages)
- Appendix 5, Part 2: Summary of Pre-publication Consultation responses (PDF/1.08MB/57 pages)