Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Lighting assessment

When is a lighting assessment required?

Proposals involving the provision of publicly accessible developments, in the vicinity of residential property, a Listed Building or a Conservation Area, or open countryside, where external lighting would be provided or made necessary by the development, should be required to be accompanied by details of external lighting and the proposed hours when the lighting would be switched on. These details shall include a layout plan with beam orientation and a schedule of the equipment in the design.

Further Guidance

Lighting in the countryside: Towards good practice (1997) is a valuable guide for local planning authorities, planners, highway engineers and members of the public. It demonstrates what can be done to lessen the effects of external lighting, including street lighting and security lighting. The advice is applicable in towns as well as the countryside.