Flood risk assessment
Used to assess the potential impact of a development on the local water environment and identify any potential increased flood risk to nearby land and properties.
- all development* in Flood Zone 3
- all development* in Flood Zone 2
- all development over 1 hectare in Flood Zone 1
- all development involving works or operations in the bed of or within 8 metres of the top of the bank of a Main River
*Although there is a requirement for flood risk assessment and sequential test for all development within Flood Zones 2 & 3, there will be some proposals that will have no flood risk implications (e.g. Replacement windows or shopfront, installation of plant or machinery on an existing building or change of use to a less flood-sensitive use). If you feel this is the case, please submit a brief explanation why you do not feel the information is necessary.
Flood risk assessment template
Please use this template for householder, change of use and commercial developments under 250m2 where the site lies in a flood risk area. For more complex development you should employ a suitably qualified professional to prepare a flood risk assessment.
A flood risk assessment should address the following issues:
- where appropriate, demonstrate that a sequential approach has been applied to the proposed development, with the aim of carrying it out in an area with the lowest probability of flooding
- where appropriate, demonstrate that an exception test has been undertaken and include the results
- identify and assess the risks from all forms of flooding to the proposed development
- identify and assess the risks of all forms of flooding of other land arising from the proposed development
- demonstrate how these risks will be managed and identify opportunities to reduce the probability and consequences of flooding
- demonstrate how the likely consequences of climate change have been taken into account
For advice on Flood Zones and Flood Risk Assessments please refer to the Environment Agency.