External lighting assessment
Last Updated: 27 July 2021
Used to assess the impact of any proposed external lighting on neighbouring properties or upon dark countryside skies.
All proposals, including equestrian related development, involving floodlighting in the vicinity of residential property, a listed building or a conservation area, ecologically sensitive areas or watercourses, where external lighting would be provided or made necessary by the development.
Details of highway street lighting is not required. This is covered by S.38 of The Highways Act 1980.
Contents of external lighting assessment
Details should include the following information:
- hours of operation
- an isolux contour map showing light spillage to 1 lux
- light levels
- column heights with layout plan with beam orientation
- a schedule of equipment
- a description of the measures such as hoods and cowls that have been provided to avoid glare
- impact on nearby dwellings or roads and use of planting to mitigate effect
- impact on protected species, in particular bats, and proposed mitigation in order to maintain or enhance the biodiversity in the area