Conservation areas are designated for their special architectural or historic interest.
These areas are subject to extra planning controls, meaning property alterations, demolition and the felling or pruning of trees within the area may require permission from us.
There are currently 10 conservation areas in the district, the boundary maps can be viewed below.
Works to buildings or trees in conservation areas
If you live in a conservation area and plan to carry out work to your property it is important to check whether you need permission before you start.
If your property is a listed building, you may also need to apply for listed building consent.
Find out more about working with trees in a conservation area.
These keys should be opened and viewed alongside the Townscape Feature and Architectural Quality maps for each settlement.
Beetham (adopted 27 May 2009)
- Beetham Conservation Area boundary map (PDF/361KB/1 page)
- Beetham Character Appraisal (PDF/372KB/33 pages)
- Beetham Townscape Features Map 1 (PDF/201KB/1 page) / TC Map 2 (PDF/151KB/1 page)
- Beetham Architectural Quality Map 1 (PDF/166KB/1 page) / AQ Map 2 (PDF/174KB/1 page)
Burton in Kendal (adopted 14 October 2009)
- Burton Conservation Area boundary map (PDF/358KB/1 page)
- Burton Character Appraisal (PDF/246KB/27 pages)
- Burton Townscape Features Map (PDF/163KB/1 page)
- Burton Architectural Quality Map (PDF/330KB/1 page)
Cartmel (adopted 11 March 2009)
- Cartmel Conservation Area boundary map (PDF/464KB/1 page)
- Cartmel Character Appraisal (PDF/726KB/57 pages)
- Cartmel Townscape Features Map (PDF/1.7MB/1page)
- Cartmel Architectural Quality Map (PDF/557KB/1 page)
Grange-Over-Sands (16 August 2007)
- Grange Location of Character Zones Map (PDF/903KB/1 page)
- Grange Conservation Area boundary maps (PDF/1.89MB/3 pages)
- Grange Character Appraisal (PDF/740KB/45 pages)
- Grange Townscape Features Maps (PDF/9.14MB/11 pages)
- Grange Architectural Quality Maps (PDF/3.5MB/4 pages)
Heversham (adopted 8 April 2009)
- Heversham Conservation Area boundary map (PDF/321KB/1 page)
- Heversham Character Appraisal (PDF/222KB/23 pages)
- Heversham Townscape Features Map (PDF/94.1KB/1 page)
- Heversham Architectural Quality Map (PDF/141KB/1 page)
Kendal (adopted 5 December 2007)
- Kendal Conservation Area boundary map (PDF/381KB/1 page)
- Kendal Character Appraisal (PDF/1.96MB/189 pages)
- Kendal Townscape Features Map 1 Town Centre North (PDF/1.39MB/1 page) / 2 TC Town Centre South (PDF/1.28MB/1 page) / 3 TC Kirkland (PDF/1.47MB/1 page) / 4 TC Kendal Green, Windermere Rd, Nobles Rest (PDF/1.48MB/1 page) / 5 TC Fellside (PDF/1.24MB/1 page) / 6 TC Beast Banks, Castle Howe, Green Side, Gillingate (PDF/1.37MB/1 page) / 7 TC Black Hall Road, Beezon Road (PDF/1.34MB/1 page) / 8 TC Castle Street, Thorney Hills (PDF/1.35MB/1 page) / 9 TC The Castle and East of River (PDF/1.17MB/1 page) / 10 TC Dowker Lane and Waterside (PDF/1.37MB/1 page)
- Kendal Architectural Quality Map 1 Town Centre North (PDF.1.58MB/1 page) / 2 Town Centre South (PDF/1.41MB/1 page) / 3 Kirkland (PDF/1.44MB/1 page) / 4 Kendal Green,Windermere Rd, Nobles Rest (PDF/1.39MB/1 page) / 5 Fellside (PDF/1.21MB/1 page) / 6 Beast Banks, Castle Howe, Green Side, Gillingate (PDF/1.47MB/1 page) / 7 Black Hall Road, Beezon Road (PDF/1.42MB/1 page) / 8 Castle Street, Thorney Hills (PDF/1.36MB/1 page) / 9 The Castle and East of River (PDF/1.3MB/1 page) / 10 Dowker Lane and Waterside (PDF/1.63MB/1 page)
Kirkby Lonsdale (adopted 13 May 2008)
- Kirkby Lonsdale Conservation Area boundary map (PDF/360KB/1 page)
- Kirkby Lonsdale Character Appraisal (combined) (PDF/3.37MB/63 pages)
Milnthorpe (adopted 12 December 2009)
- Milnthorpe Conservation Area boundary map (PDF/318KB/1 page)
- Milnthorpe Character Appraisal (PDF/246KB/28 pages)
- Milnthorpe Townscape Features Map (PDF/836KB/1 page)
- Milnthorpe Architectural Quality Map (PDF/148KB/1 page)
Newland Furnace (adopted 11 March 2009)
- Newland Conservation Area boundary map (PDF/298KB/1 page)
- Newland Character Appraisal (PDF/310KB/21 pages)
- Newland Townscape Features Map (PDF/183KB/1 page)
- Newland Architectural Quality Map (PDF/138KB/1 page)