Cartmel Conservation Area Management Plan Supplementary Planning Document
Last Updated: 3 March 2022
A Conservation Area Management Plan (CAMP) for Cartmel is being prepared. The purpose of the Management Plan is to help protect the special character of the Cartmel Conservation Area. To help achieve this the draft document:
- sets out guidance for protecting the special character of the Cartmel Conservation Area
- identifies a list of unlisted Buildings or Features of Local Architectural or Historic Significance that are of particular merit in the Conservation Area
- considers whether an Article 4 Direction to control permitted development is justified, and identifies properties that are considered merit this additional protection
- provides a strategy for Buildings at Risk
- identifies opportunities for environmental enhancement and the need for grant-aid
The Management Plan will provide a basis for more informed decision-making to help preserve and enhance the character and appearance of the Conservation Area. Once adopted as a Supplementary Planning Document, the Management Plan will be a material consideration in determining planning applications within or affecting the Conservation Area.
Draft Cartmel CAMP SPD Consultation 3 March to 14 April 2022
The Draft Cartmel CAMP SPD is being consulted on for 6 weeks from 3 March to 14 April 2022. We have also made paper copies of the document available to view at the following locations:
- Kendal Town Hall, libraries at Grange over Sands, Kendal, Ulverston, and also at Cartmel Priory (during visiting hours) and Cartmel Village Hall (when open for events)
Please let us have your views by responding to our Draft Cartmel Conservation Area Management Plan online survey (our preferred way as it reduces costs).
Alternatively you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to: Strategy Team, South Lakeland District Council, South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 4DQ
Comments made will be recorded and published, along with the respondent’s name on our website.
Drop in event
Come along to our Drop In Event 2pm - 6.30pm Friday 25 March at Cartmel Village Hall where you will be able to view the documents, meet and discuss with officers and provide your feedback.
Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) and Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA) Initial Screening Opinion
A strategic Environmental Assessment and Habitats Regulations Assessment Initial Screening Opinion has been undertaken to demonstrate that the draft SPD will not give rise to any significant environmental effects at the effects on protected sites would appear to be very limited. As a result it is concluded it is not necessary to subject the Plan to HRA. These conclusions have been informed by the advice of Natural England, the Environment Agency and Historic England (see responses below).