Some demolitions may require permission. Find out more at planning permission
Arranging a demolition
If you want to demolish a building or part of a building greater than 50m3 in volume (exemptions apply), you must give us six weeks notice by either:
- completing Demolition Form (PDF/34.7KB/1 page)
- writing, or by email, quoting the phrase 'under Section 80 of the Building Act 1984.
You'll also need to send us:
- a location plan of the building and adjoining streets
- a method statement for the demolition of larger buildings
- a block plan outlining the building(s) to be demolished
There is a fee of £125.
- once we have received your notice we may need to carry out a site inspection
- we will then serve a Counter Notice. This sets out the conditions for doing the demolition
- we send copies to utility service companies, gas, water and electricity suppliers and adjoining owners
- we will arrange payment of your fee.
- you can begin work after you have received the Counter Notice, or six weeks after you sent us the notice