Some demolitions may require planning permission.
Arranging a demolition
If you want to demolish a building or part of a building greater than 50m3 in volume (exemptions apply), you must give us six weeks notice by either:
- completing Demolition Form (PDF/74KB/1 page)
- writing, or by email, quoting the phrase 'under Section 80' of the Building Act 1984.
You'll also need to send us:
- a location plan of the building and adjoining streets
- a method statement for the demolition of larger buildings
- a block plan outlining the building(s) to be demolished
There is a fee of £125.
- once we have received your notice we may need to carry out a site inspection
- we will then serve a Counter Notice. This sets out the conditions for doing the demolition
- we send copies to utility service companies, gas, water and electricity suppliers and adjoining owners
- we will arrange payment of your fee.
- you can begin work after you have received the Counter Notice, or six weeks after you sent us the notice
In some cases agreement must be reached with adjoining owners, see the Party Wall Act.