Building control fees
The Building Regulation Charges are divided into a Plan and Inspection charge, or Building Notice charge. The following tables show the types of work and the relevant charges.
The basis of these charges is from the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010, valid from 1 April 2019.
If you have a project that is not covered by the tables then please contact our Building Control Team on 01539 793 331 for an individual charge.
You can email a PDF of your proposals and we will provide a competitive quote for your scheme: email@example.com
Please note that, unless otherwise agreed, schemes exceeding one year duration may be subject to an additional charge.
Schedule 1, houses up to 300 square metres and flats up to three storeys
Charges for new dwellings.
All Charges Include VAT at 20%.
|Number of dwelling types||Plan charge||Inspection charge||Building notice|
Schedule 2, certain small domestic buildings and extensions
All charges include VAT at 20%.
For extensions below 4m2 please refer to Schedule 3.
Please note: Unless otherwise agreed, schemes exceeding one year duration may be subject to an additional charge.
|Project type||Full plans deposit||Full plans inspection||Building notice||Regularisation|
|All attached garages and detached garages over 30m2 or under 60m2||£180.00||£210.00||£390.00||£487.50|
|Domestic extensions below 4m2||See schedule 3||See schedule 3||See schedule 3||See schedule 3|
|Domestic extensions over 4m2 up to 10m2||£180.00||£210.00||£390.00||£487.50|
|Domestic extensions over 10m2 but under 20m2||£180.00||£300.00||£480.00||£600.00|
|Domestic extensions over 20m2 but under 40m2||£180.00||£360.00||£540.00||£675.00|
|Domestic extensions over 40m2 but under 60m2||£180.00||£450.00||£630.00||£787.50|
|Domestic extensions over 60m2 but under 100m2||£180.00||£570.00||£750.00||£937.50|
|A loft conversion up to 30m2||£180.00||£300.00||£480.00||£600.00|
Schedule 3, all other work
All charges include VAT at 20%. Regularisation charge is exempt from VAT.
|Fixed price based on estimated cost band||Plan||Inspection||Building notice||Regularisation (exempt from VAT)|
|£0 - £1,000||£120.00||No fee||£120.00||£150.00|
|£1,000.01 - £2,000||£180.00||No fee||£180.00||£225.00|
|£2,000.01 - £5,000||£270.00||No fee||£270.00||£337.50|
|£5,000.01 - £10,000||£90.00||£240.00||£330.00||£412.50|
|£10,000.01 - £20,000||£90.00||£300.00||£390.00||£487.50|
|£20,000.01 - £30,000||£120.00||£390.00||£510.00||£637.50|
|£30,000.01 - £40,000||£150.00||£480.00||£630.00||£787.50|
Where work relates to electrical installation/cabling to which part P applies by a person not registered under the Government's 'registered Domestic Installer Scheme' the following charges will be applied.
|Electrical installation||Charges (inclusive of VAT @ 20%)|
|Re-wiring not covered in Competent Persons Scheme||£270.00|
|New circuits or consumer units||£180.00|
|Single socket/light point||£120.00|
|Heating appliance installation||Total Charge (inclusive of VAT @ 20%||Regularisation|
|Where work relates to installation of a heating appliance (wood burning stove)/lining of a chimney to which Part J applies, and by a person not Registered under a Government scheme, the following charge is required.||£270.00||£337.50|
|Other charges||Total Charge (inclusive of VAT @ 20%)||Regularisation (Exempt vat)|
|Replacement of 1 to 6 windows or doors in dwelling, not part of a FENSA scheme (or equivalent)||£120.00||£150.00|
|Replacement of 7 to 10 windows or doors in dwelling, not part of a FENSA scheme (or equivalent)||£180.00||£225.00|
|Replacement of 11 or more windows or doors in dwelling, not part of a FENSA scheme (or equivalent)||£270.00||£337.50|
|Sewage treatment plant||£270.00||£337.50|
|A revised scheme considered not to be the same as originally deposited||£120.00||n/a|
|Material alteration to thermal element requiring upgrading of insulation, greater than 25% of roof, walls or floors||£120.00||£150.00|
|Conversion of domestic garage to be habitable accommodation||£270.00||£337.50|
Building control guidance notes
The Plan Charge is to be paid at the time plans are deposited with the council. An invoice for the inspection charge will be issued after the first inspection has been carried out.
The charges must be paid at the time this Notice is submitted to the council.
A Building Notice cannot be used for new houses where new roads or streets are to be constructed:
- the amount of the plan charge is based on the number of dwelling types contained in the application the inspection charge is based on the total units in the project
- for five or more dwellings (or if the floor area of the dwelling exceeds 300m2 or flats over three storeys) the charge will be individually determined
- for electrical work not covered under a Competent Persons Scheme, the basic inspection charge per dwelling will be £240.00 including VAT (account will be given to repetitive work and a discount may
- unless otherwise agreed, schemes exceeding one year in duration may be subject to an additional charge
Schedule 2 guidance, certain small domestic buildings and extensions and Schedule 3 guidance, other work
The Building Regulation Charges are divided into a Plan and Inspection charge, or Building Notice charge. The following tables identify types of work and the relevant charges.
The basis of these charges are derived from Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010, valid from 1 April 2016.
All Charges are subject to VAT at the appropriate rate. The Regularisation Charge however is exempt from VAT.
- Full Plans, The Plan Charge is to be paid at the time plans are deposited with the council. Where an inspection charge applies, an invoice will be issued after the first inspection has been carried out
- Building Notices, the charges are to be paid at the time this Notice is submitted to the council
- Regularisation Charge, this type of application is solely for use where work undertaken on or after 11 November 1985 and is already completed without prior knowledge/notification to the council and house owners seek retrospective certification. However these charges are 150% of the net charge
- Exemption, where work is to provide access and facilities for disabled people in an existing domestic building, or is an extension of a room in a dwelling, where sole use will be for the carrying out of medical treatment or storage facilities for a disabled person, adaptation or replacement of accommodation, no charge is payable
- Total Estimated Cost for Works, under Schedule 3 Charges for all commercial/industrial/other residential and domestic alterations are taken from Schedule 3. These are based on an estimated cost that would be charged by a professional contractor, excluding professional fees and VAT
- Small Buildings and Extensions (Schedule 2), where the work in question includes the erection of more than one extension to a building, the total floor areas of all such extensions should be combined to determine the charge payable in accordance with Schedule 2. Any work not indicated in Schedule 2 should refer to Schedule 3
- Stage Payments, in certain cases charges may be paid by instalments, by prior agreement with the building control team leader