About building control
Last Updated: 26 May 2023
Our Building Control team will help and advise you to ensure your building projects meet building regulations, safely and cost effectively.
Whether you are a large developer undertaking a large-scale project or a homeowner making changes to your property, we support you every step of the way.
- we are the main provider of building control support in South Lakeland
- our team of surveyors are fully qualified and have excellent local knowledge
- we are local, readily available and can offer same day advice
- we are a trusted, independent, not for profit service. We are publicly accountable
- we offer a pre-application advice service helping your project to run smoothly from the start, avoiding costly mistakes
- we can liaise with other council departments/professionals easily and quickly
Building control contacts
You can get in touch with our building control team by phone or email.
01539 793 331
01539 793 357
Mike Foster (Ulverston Office)
01539 793 358
01539 793 362
Telephone: 01539 793 363
Mike Sargeant (Ulverston Office)
01539 793 359
01539 793 360
Guidance and resources
Information and advice to help you plan and carry out your building project:
- need permission for your project? Find out on interactive house
- general building regulations information and approved documents can be found on the Planning Portal
- Local Authority Building Control (LABC) has information about partnership arrangements, LABC Building Excellence Awards and other useful guides
- Eden District Council technical guidance notes
- Local Authority Building Control technical resources provide the building regulations approved documents and technical guidance for England. Following the guidance in the approved documents can help show that you have complied with Building Control Regulations
- United Utilities guidance and advice on your responsibilities regarding sewers and drains
Building excellence awards
Local Authority Building Control (LABC) Building Excellence Awards are all about the essence of good buildings. Finalists are not judged on architectural beauty, but on the "excellence" shown from a construction and technical building control point of view.
The awards recognise not just buildings but celebrate their design and construction teams that have tussled with technical issues, difficult sites and found innovative and creative solutions.