Save time, do it online: Pay Apply Report

Road sweeping and litter

We are responsible for road sweeping and litter clearance, including leaves, in certain areas.

This does not include major trunk roads and privately owned property or land.

We are able to provide sweeping services to private land owners. Please contact us for further information about hire services available.

Litter bins

We provide over 850 litter bins. They can be used for dog waste, but it has to be in a bag.

We empty bins at busy places up to four times a day. In main streets and playgrounds they are emptied daily. We empty bins in villages and quieter places weekly.

You can report a bin that’s damaged or needs emptying.

Use our online mapping to find a litter bin.

Drug litter

Needles, syringes and other drug related litter should be reported to us straight away.

It can be dangerous to handle these items. Don't pick up needles, contact us and we will collect and dispose of them safely. We inform our colleagues at Cumbria Police about details of the find.

Call us on 01539 733 333 during working hours.

Outside of office hours please call: Kendal and Eastern Area: 0870 428 6905 or Lakes, Ulverston and Western Area: 0870 428 6906.

Report drug litter

Dead animals

We are responsible for removing dead animals from road verges and beaches. This does not include privately owned land or parish council land.

Request removal of dead animal

Or telephone us on 01539 733 333.

If an animal is blocking the road and requires urgent attention please telephone Cumbria Highways on 0300 303 2992.

Dead farm animals can be reported to Cumbria County Council's Trading Standards animal welfare team.

Volunteer litter picking

We can provide help and guidance for volunteers who want to carry out community litter picking.

Please contact us for further advice and information.