Dead animals

Last Updated: 28 February 2023

We are responsible for removing dead animals from road verges and Council owned beaches. This does not include privately owned land, coastline or parish council land.

How to report a dead animal

Request removal of a dead animal

We will need to know what type of animal it is, its size and condition.

Please also tell us the exact location:

  • in a town or village: the postcode, street name and number of the nearest house
  • in a rural area: the road or area name, name of the nearest farm or house or any significant landmarks

If a dead animal is blocking a road

If an animal is blocking the road and requires urgent attention please telephone Cumbria Highways on 0300 303 2992.

If you see a dead farm animal

Report dead farm animals to Cumbria County Council's Trading Standards animal welfare team.

What to do if you have a road accident involving an animal

Government advice on what to do if you hit an animal, and what animals you need to report.

You have to report an accident involving most animals to the police straight away. Call the police on 101.